How long is an average grow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katelynbah!

Reaction score
Right now I have 2 plants. One is budding, the other one is less than a month, so its still a youngling. My question:

I want to have a lot more plants, and i am able to do it, but I should be moving in 6 months, and I dont want to have to transfer my plants, take them outside so all my neighbors can see, etc. So, how long is an average grow to harvest. I wouldn't mind transfering the buds when they were drying, but I just cannot transfer the plant. I will refuse. So, can I do this? Or am I going to have to wait until I move?

Also...
Is there any way to make your plants female. (ex. when reptile eggs are heated a certain temperture, the hatchlings can be forced to be male or female.) Is there any way to do this with my plants? Thanks, Ill be looking forward to hear what you guys say.

Thanks

Six months is plenty of time to grow from beginning to end. If you decide to do vegetative growth, you could count on four to five weeks or so for that. Then, after the vegetative phase you can put them into flowering for 8 to 12 weeks or so. So, 5 weeks veg, plus 8 weeks of flowering would give you a complete grow in 13 weeks. 13 weeks is a little over 3 months.

Or, you could skip vegging and grow them from the very beginning on the flowering cycle and save time like that. Personally, I tend to veg for 6-7 weeks before putting them into flower.

Indica plants tend to have shorter flowering times than do Sativas. Indicas can flower in about 8-10 weeks, whereas, Sativas take up to 12-14 weeks to flower. These flowering time are just estimates off the top of my head.

I think a nice deal for you might be to keep that plant you have vegging as a mother plant. You could get quite a few clones off it and send them through budding with plenty of time to spare. When you clone plants, they're as old as the mother was, so you'll be getting a bunch of cuttng that will be months old and ready to flower the moment they sprout roots. This would probably be your best way to go, seeing as how it take a good bit of time growing froom seed to flowering time. With clones you cut that time out...

a grow can take as little as 9 weeks through to how ever long you want it to
,,,depending on if you want to go into 12/12 from seed or veg for a few weeks ,months or keep a mother like blancolighter said :peace:

Right now my plant is 5 months old. And its still growing white pistols, so i don't want to harvest it yet. Why is it take my plant so long to grow? Im not using any suppliments, so should I start to do that to make it grow faster? I dont think my plant is even big enough to cone. I had topped it once, so It had 2 limbs of bud, but my boyfriend cut one off and smoked it. I yelled at him afterwards, but Im still stuck with this deformed looking half plant.

Right now Im at 18/6, should I pt it on 12/12?

It was at 12/12 but when I started growing another plant, I put it back on 18

from...Cannabis life cycle on our "RESOURCES" page.
CANNABIS LIFE CYCLE PHOTOPERIOD AND FLOWERING
For the cannabis grower the most important plant/environment interaction to understand is the influence of the photoperiod. The photoperiod is the daily number of hours of day (light) vs. night (dark). In nature, long nights signal the plant that winter is coming and that it is time to flowers and produce seeds. As long as the day-length is long, the plants continue vegetative growth. If female flowers do appear, there will only be a few. These flowers will not form the characteristic large clusters or buds. If the days are too short, the plants flowers too soon, and remain small and underdeveloped.

The plant "senses" the longer nights by a direct interaction with light. A flowering hormone is present during all stages of growth. This hormone is sensitive to light and is rendered inactive by even low levels of light. When the dark periods are long enough, the hormones increase to a critical level that triggers the reproductive cycle. Vegetative growth ends and flowering.

The natural photoperiod changes with the passing of seasons. In the Northern Hemisphere, the length of daylight is longest on June 21. Day-length gradually decreases until it reaches its shortest duration on December 22. The duration of daylight then begins to increase until the cycle is completed the following June 21. Because the Earth is tilted on its axis to the sun, day-length also depends on position (or latitude) on Earth. As one moves closer to the equator, changes in the photoperiod are less drastic over the course of a year. At the equator (0 degrees altitude) day length lasts about 12.5 hours on June 21 and 11.5 hours on December 22. In Maine (about 45 degrees north), day-length varies between about 16 and nine hours. Near the Arctic Circe on June 21 there is no night. On December 22 the whole day is dark. The longer day-length toward the north prevents cannabis from flowering until later in the season. Over most of the northern half of the country, flowering is often so late that development cannot be completed before the onset of cold weather and heavy frosts.

The actual length of day largely depends on local conditions, such as cloud cover, altitude, and terrain. On a flat Midwest plain, the effective length of day is about 30 minutes longer than sunrise to sunset. In practical terms, it is little help to calculate the photoperiod, but it is important to realise how it affects the plants and how you can use it to your advantage.

Cannabis life cycle generally needs about two weeks of successive long nights before the first flowers appear. The photoperiod necessary for flowering will vary slight with (1) the variety, (2) the age of the plant, (3) its sex, and (4) growing conditions.

katelynbah! said:
Right now my plant is 5 months old. And its still growing white pistols, so i don't want to harvest it yet. Why is it take my plant so long to grow? Im not using any suppliments, so should I start to do that to make it grow faster? I dont think my plant is even big enough to cone. I had topped it once, so It had 2 limbs of bud, but my boyfriend cut one off and smoked it. I yelled at him afterwards, but Im still stuck with this deformed looking half plant.

Right now Im at 18/6, should I pt it on 12/12?

It was at 12/12 but when I started growing another plant, I put it back on 18

A plant will only flower if it is in 12/12. You can keep a plant indefinitely in 18/6 and it will never bud. It stresses your plant to change the light cycles like that and can cause it to hermie. What kind of light are you using?

The Hemp Goddess said:
A plant will only flower if it is in 12/12. You can keep a plant indefinitely in 18/6 and it will never bud. It stresses your plant to change the light cycles like that and can cause it to hermie. What kind of light are you using?

Im using a T5 Coral light I used to have on my salt water fish tank. Its 2 light spectrum and has lunar lighting. Im planning on getting a bigger light from the hydroponics store down the street, but I have to clear out some more room first.

ALSO!
Should I go put my lights back on a 12/12 even though my other plant is less than a month? I know I can put a plant on 12/12 from the very begining, but wont the buds be bigger if the plant grows some and then trys to flower later on, or just being put on the flower schedual from the start? I just thought I'd get more bud? Does this make sense?

Latest posts

Back