The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grandma got her pound of flesh and it made a good family story.
Speaking of grandmas. When I was in the 4th grade my mom snd dad moved us kids and my grandma to Culver,In. He thought it would be better schools. I think he did it for my brother. Fishing every spare minute. We were across the road from the Tippecanoe River.
Anyway back to the story. Our closest neighbor was about 3/4 of a mile down the road. His dog kept coming after our chickens every time they let him out. Grandma got pissed and soaked a corncob in turpentine. Next time that dog came she was ready for him. Snatched him up by the tail rubbed that corncob on the dogs a-hole. Boy did he take off yelping. He never came back to mess with our chickens again. I was a kid and thought it was the funniest thing ever. Now that I think about it was kind of mean. Yikes the things you could get away with in the 70s.

Speaking of grandmas. When I was in the 4th grade my mom snd dad moved us kids and my grandma to Culver,In. He thought it would be better schools. I think he did it for my brother. Fishing every spare minute. We were across the road from the Tippecanoe River.
Anyway back to the story. Our closest neighbor was about 3/4 of a mile down the road. His dog kept coming after our chickens every time they let him out. Grandma got pissed and soaked a corncob in turpentine. Next time that dog came she was ready for him. Snatched him up by the tail rubbed that corncob on the dogs a-hole. Boy did he take off yelping. He never came back to mess with our chickens again. I was a kid and thought it was the funniest thing ever. Now that I think about it was kind of mean. Yikes the things you could get away with in the 70s.
Family story about Mom's brother, who turpentined a cat and it made a circle of the room spraying everything with loose fecal matter, which he got to clean up.

Family story about Mom's brother, who turpentined a cat and it made a circle of the room spraying everything with loose fecal matter, which he got to clean up.
At least Grandma used her on the dog outside. I know he took off yelping like someone got him. Somebody did get him and good. Don't mess with Grandma!

Well it worked. Not uncommon for a dog to be shot for chicken killing. I used to work for a guy that did high end quail hunts. With fancy clients. He didn’t want his dogs crapping in the dog boxes so he would stick a match tip in the dogs butt to make it crap. Kept the boxes clean. We call those “old farmer tricks”. Things that work, but could have questionable methods 😂

Last edited:
Well it worked. Not uncommon for a dog to be shot for chicken killing. I used to work for a guy that did high end quail hunts. With fancy clients. He didn’t want his dogs crawling in the dog boxes so he would stick a match tip in the dogs butt to make it crap. Kept the boxes clean. We call those “old farmer tricks”. Things that work, but could have questionable methods 😂
The stuff you could get away with in the 70s

I'd been tempted to give the offender an enima with the same stuff and see how he liked it!

I worked with a steel jockey on a school in North Branch. I saved his company's arse on a couple of things they focked up. He took me to the local bar after work and tossed his wallet on the table (free drinks for the hippie). I wish I'd never gone. He got to bragging about the time he and his buddies went hunting and came across a stray cat. They poured diesel fuel on the cat and set it on fire. It ran under his brand new truck.
I told him that it was too bad it didn't jump on his face and latch on with a death grip. Never could look at the guy in the same way again.

It's apparently Carbon Disulfide and is called High Life. They poured it on the dogs back and it went berserk, climbing onto the hood of the pickup, crying, and crapping all over everything.
I used to be a big time coonhunter, and although I have never “high lifed” a hound, as you put it, I am familiar with the trick.
Carbon disulfide is supposed to have a delayed reaction.
The goal is to find a field full of deer, get the dog out of the box, pour a little juice on it, then send him into the field where all the deer were at.
The carbon disulfide ain’t supposed to kick in until well after the dog has started running a deer, that way he thinks the deer he is chasing caused the pain.
High lifing a dog after it comes back to the truck only teaches the dog that it’s a bad idea to come back to the truck.
Sounds like those guys were pretty clueless.

I used to be a big time coonhunter, and although I have never “high lifed” a hound, as you put it, I am familiar with the trick.
Carbon disulfide is supposed to have a delayed reaction.
The goal is to find a field full of deer, get the dog out of the box, pour a little juice on it, then send him into the field where all the deer were at.
The carbon disulfide ain’t supposed to kick in until well after the dog has started running a deer, that way he thinks the deer he is chasing caused the pain.
High lifing a dog after it comes back to the truck only teaches the dog that it’s a bad idea to come back to the truck.
Sounds like those guys were pretty clueless.
Also idiots

Also idiots
I wouldn’t exactly say idiots, the method was fairly common practice until probably the 70’s. People were just cruder back then, and that kind of stuff was more acceptable.
I was born in ‘73, so by the time I started coon hunting in the 90’s, we had modern conveniences like electronic training collars.
I have heard some of the older houndsmen talk about doing it, but most of those old guys have already passed on anyway.
IMG_5087.jpeg

As a matter of fact, I knew this old guy.
He could tell some stories about that kind of stuff.

I wouldn’t exactly say idiots, the method was fairly common practice until probably the 70’s. People were just cruder back then, and that kind of stuff was more acceptable.
I was born in ‘73, so by the time I started coon hunting in the 90’s, we had modern conveniences like electronic training collars.
I have heard some of the older houndsmen talk about doing it, but most of those old guys have already passed on anyway.
View attachment 360744
The ones not doing it correctly

I can't abide anyone mistreating an animal. There's got to be a special place in hell for those that do.
No I don't condone cruelty to animals, but when you are 10 and granny lights up a dog its funny. I would never do it. Nor have I ever told my kids. Afraid one of then would try it and get the shite bit out of them

I'd been tempted to give the offender an enima with the same stuff and see how he liked it!

I worked with a steel jockey on a school in North Branch. I saved his company's arse on a couple of things they focked up. He took me to the local bar after work and tossed his wallet on the table (free drinks for the hippie). I wish I'd never gone. He got to bragging about the time he and his buddies went hunting and came across a stray cat. They poured diesel fuel on the cat and set it on fire. It ran under his brand new truck.
I told him that it was too bad it didn't jump on his face and latch on with a death grip. Never could look at the guy in the same way again.
I hate mother fkers like that. I would just as soon beat their ass as look at them.
Fking piece of shit.😡

View attachment 360744
Old trick or not it's fking bullshit. If I wouldn't do it to a human,,why the fk would I do it to an animal.
All the coin hunters I grew up around would kill you over there dogs and I never seen or heard of them doing such a thing. I was born and raised in the country until my father died.
Cruelty to animals is something most Country folks don't put up with.
Killing for food is a different story,,but even then it was done with dignity.

Last edited:
Old trick or not it's fking bullshit. If I wouldn't do it to a human,,why the fk would I do it to an animal.
All the coin hunters I grew up around would kill you over there dogs and I never seen or heard of them doing such a thing. I was born and raised in the country until my father died.
Cruelty to animals is something most Country folks don't put up with.
Killing for food is a different story,,but even then it was done with dignity.

I don’t want you getting the feeling that I condone it, it’s definitely not something I would ever do.

Latest posts

Back