Random Thought Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engineers can be a bit...............dense at times.
However if you speak softly and firmly you can eventually get through to the operator.
Architects are a entirely different animal who can't do basic math or grasp the concept that gravity exists and water does indeed flow downhill..........I was not allowed to speak with them very often.
😂

However if you speak softly and firmly you can eventually get through to the operator.
Architects are a entirely different animal who can't do basic math or grasp the concept that gravity exists and water does indeed flow downhill..........I was not allowed to speak with them very often.
😂
Don't get me started on Architects! We remodeled the Dealership 3 times in the 25 years I was there. I always got along fine with the PM and contractors. But, our Architect was in Rotary with my partner so I had to deal with him. Reputable and well known but had no regard for expenses. All he wanted was to build a masterpiece so he could show it off to his colleagues.

He would intentionally deceive me on the cost of everything from material and labor costs along with deadlines. For example....He estimated the total cost of the first remodel at 1,500,000. and the final cost was 2,300,000. $800,000 over the original bid. Plus it was 6 months behind schedule. The next two projects were the same and my partner wouldn't let me fire the puke.

Change orders......holly s-hit! Outrageous. I got paid on the bottom line and that extra $800,000 took a huge bite out of the bottom line each month and it all trickled down to me.

Don't get me started on Architects! We remodeled the Dealership 3 times in the 25 years I was there. I always got along fine with the PM and contractors. But, our Architect was in Rotary with my partner so I had to deal with him. Reputable and well known but had no regard for expenses. All he wanted was to build a masterpiece so he could show it off to his colleagues.

He would intentionally deceive me on the cost of everything from material and labor costs along with deadlines. For example....He estimated the total cost of the first remodel at 1,500,000. and the final cost was 2,300,000. $800,000 over the original bid. Plus it was 6 months behind schedule. The next two projects were the same and my partner wouldn't let me fire the puke.

Change orders......holly s-hit! Outrageous. I got paid on the bottom line and that extra $800,000 took a huge bite out of the bottom line each month and it all trickled down to me.
I just can't deal with that level of the stoopid outta someone so fuckin educated.
I skipped third grade and dropped out in fifth........gotta be me right?
😂

I mean if you cannot even mathematically close the building you yourself designed and then when shown it's 20 feet out of square your response is "can't you just make it work?" I tend to pop off loudly.
😣

I just can't deal with that level of the stoopid outta someone so fuckin educated.
I skipped third grade and dropped out in fifth........gotta be me right?
😂

I mean if you cannot even mathematically close the building you yourself designed and then when shown it's 20 feet out of square your response is "can't you just make it work?" I tend to pop off loudly.
😣
You can't believe how many construction meetings ended up in shouting matches. Common since.....building a 9,000 sq ft used car building at $140 a sq ft isn't $750,000 it si almost $1,300,000! Guy should have never been hired! But my partner (majority stock holder and president of the company) went to school with him and were life long friends.

We sold the dealership over 13 years ago and went separate ways. Today we don't speak.

I was a licensed contractor for 35 years and could never believe the amount of ignorance and stupidity I faced on a regular basis when dealing with the higher ups. Some folks just don’t get it.

a water hose level does not lie

View attachment 332627
The only time they'll lie is if there's an air bubble in the line or some dumb ass is standing on the hose.
😂
Anybody with a little sense can build a building. It takes a college educated architect to build one that'll barely stand up.
I ran a high school out in North Branch. The architects were excellent in CYA. Ran into a wall on the stage where the plumbers had gone exactly off the print. The spark jumpers had gone off the detail. Only missed the wall I was supposed to build by three feet. Word back from the architects? "When print wrong, see detail. When detail wrong, see print."

I did some hallway soffits in the main corridor. I knew the junction didn't look right, so I questioned them on it. They said they'd back to me in a day. At the end of a week, I did it the way I figured it should go. The firm sent out to young architects that spend half a day taking pictures and measurements. A week later, they send me a detailed addendum. Yep, exactly as I'd built it.

My youngest son is engaged to a girl who is lovely and a welcome addition to the fam.
Her Dads a bigtime fancy pants architect in sanfran.
I am a ignorant redneck from Fl. who is now a ignorant redneck in Montana.
My mouth has exactly two speeds socially polite and off the chain.
Odd the kids haven't had us all get together yet.
😬

I retired in 09 and don't miss it a bit.
Turns out there's not enough time in the day for all the nothing I like to do as is.
😁
I retired December 31st 2009. Exactly as planned. Only problem....I had 80 employees today anything that needs doing I have to do it. Like you said dogster I never have a minute to sit. Everything is done the way I want it to be done though.
Good thing the world is flat.....all these errands I have to run.

Latest posts

Back