Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GW, I hear ya about the high/low temps in my golden years.

I had a cousin that retired from the AF back in the 70's with the bride he met while serving. They pooled their funds and bought a ketch rigged mahogany sailboat, a 40' footer. They restored it and sailed it from Bay City, MI to St. Thomas island in the Caribbean's. They lived on it and would occasionally take tourists island hopping for extra bucks. Fast forward five years and he's back minus a boat and a wife. They got bored! Claimed that a cold day was 67, and a hot day was 78. They missed the temps swing/seasons. I'll bet the damn fool wishes he'd stayed now that he's pushing 80.

Good morning, Misfits.

More labors of Hercules to accomplish before the rains move in. Winter's comin'....
R.83d63bbcb4731092a874a33ffc3b871b

GW, I hear ya about the high/low temps in my golden years.

I had a cousin that retired from the AF back in the 70's with the bride he met while serving. They pooled their funds and bought a ketch rigged mahogany sailboat, a 40' footer. They restored it and sailed it from Bay City, MI to St. Thomas island in the Caribbean's. They lived on it and would occasionally take tourists island hopping for extra bucks. Fast forward five years and he's back minus a boat and a wife. They got bored! Claimed that a cold day was 67, and a hot day was 78. They missed the temps swing/seasons. I'll bet the damn fool wishes he'd stayed now that he's pushing 80.
Sailing off into the sunset was my original plan, after selling our house and rentals. I had Illusions paid for and outfitted for living on, but when it came time Grayfox chickened out and told me she would fly to meet me anywhere but would not sail out of sight of land.

To retire under those circumstances, I sold Illusions and our plane, and then spent part of the money upgrading our rentals so that they rented for twice as much. The added rental income along with our other retirements, SS, and investments allowed me to retire at 62. Looking at it 19 years later, it was the right decision.

Looking in retrospect, the original owners of Illusions sailed her around the world in their thirties and retired stateside to make their retirement nut in their mid-forties. Living on a boat over the hill and far away is something that you can do more easily in your youth, but making your nut starting mid forties is cutting it thin.

On the other hand, making your nut and then sailing off into the sunset is problematic because we need more creature comforts and medical support in later life.

Latest posts

Back