What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got both flavors of those woodpeckers here at the ranch. The downey's are the size of a sparrow, and the hairy's are the size of a bluejay. Except for size, they're almost identical. The males have red on the back of their heads.
We lost a lot of ash trees due to the emerald ash borer. I used to cut them down and burn the wood, but I quit when I found out that the little downey's live their entire life in a four acre area. Bird's gotta have somewhere to call home, and it might just as well be here.
We have both Downey’s and Hairy’s here as well. We also have some red breasted, Pileated and Northern Flickers(though the NF’s don’t peck wood-they eat bugs from the ground). The Pileated are my favorite but are very secretive.

We rarely see any palliated here. Red bellies and four or five different flavors of flickers/sap suckers are occasional guests.
I love birds.
We do as well. I have found in the last few years that bird watching has changed how I walk around. Before I started watching birds, I only looked around me and missed out on looking up. Today I saw I red tail crash into a tree where mourning doves like to perch. It missed the doves but knocked down a couple of dead limbs. The hawk must’ve been a bit stunned by the impact as it landed on a nearby tree and sat there for a couple minutes. We aldd at o have Coopers Hawks in the yard occasionally. We saw one a couple years ago land on a blue jay and kill it, then flew off. Being retired leaves a lot of time to see interesting stuff like that.

Buttermilk Cookies, Blue Dream,OG Kush,Purple Oreoz, Purple Punch Peyote Zkittles,Gorilla Gas,Dantes Inferno and Capt. Junky. The last two were clones added later. Since legalized recreational in Ohio I wanted to experiment with some different strains to see what 2 I will go with next year. Started them late for me but garden outgrew it's space. So about 50 percent loss but still pounds.

Attachments

• 20240828_175921.jpg
    20240828_175921.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240828_180036.jpg
    20240828_180036.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240913_191252.jpg
    20240913_191252.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back