The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.574cfca400323097c3a82f785318d706

Evening folks. I finally kicked the blues just in time to quit and go home. Highlight of my day is coming down my driveway and seeing my family. My oldest son usually meets me at the car. I generally have the tail end of a soda and he likes that lol.
Going to clean 1500 feet of gutters at daybreak tomorrow. I owe $200 on a vintage Marlin 336 lever action 30-30. My dad gave me one in 2004, and I’m going to give it to my oldest boy when he’s around 12. Then I had a second son and for a year I’ve been looking for another rifle to having a matching pair. That don’t give those old Marlins away. $750 was a deal I hate to say it.
I’ll use it a few years and get some wear on it so it will be “dads rifle” once George is old enough to shoulder a real rifle.

Evening folks. I finally kicked the blues just in time to quit and go home. Highlight of my day is coming down my driveway and seeing my family. My oldest son usually meets me at the car. I generally have the tail end of a soda and he likes that lol.
Going to clean 1500 feet of gutters at daybreak tomorrow. I owe $200 on a vintage Marlin 336 lever action 30-30. My dad gave me one in 2004, and I’m going to give it to my oldest boy when he’s around 12. Then I had a second son and for a year I’ve been looking for another rifle to having a matching pair. That don’t give those old Marlins away. $750 was a deal I hate to say it.
I’ll use it a few years and get some wear on it so it will be “dads rifle” once George is old enough to shoulder a real rifle.
I inherited a Marlin Model 336 30-30 from Dad, a nice rifle! I've since passed it on to my son.

I inherited a Marlin Model 336 30-30 from Dad, a nice rifle! I've since passed it on to my son.
I have the same one. Passed to me by my father as well. It was the last gun his grandfather bought.
I don't use it much.
I carry my .260 Remington or mossburg 16 gauge whenever I go hunting.

hey folks. still see some old faces here. i noticed i joined in 2014, in september that will make 10 years since i started the first feeble attempts to grow this wonderful plant we love so much. lot has changed in that ten years. so many old faces i remember when i was first learning. gone for one reason or another. some faces, good riddance...
i have forgotten what 26 years old felt like. 36 aint bad but i have to wonder if i have already crossed my peak... mentally, no. body wise, afraid it is close if i haven't already. still working on trucks, but making plans to move to a more desk based job in a year. i'm feeling this hard work, and i want to slow down and work less.
I joined in 2008.😁 It's been my home for awhile.👍

Last edited:
I have the same one. Passed to me by my father as well. It was the last gun his grandfather bought.
I don't use it much.
I carry my .260 Remington or mossburg 16 gauge whenever I go hunting.
I already had a Winchester Model 94 30-30 with peep sights when I inherited Dads Model 336 with buckhorn sights, so I didn't shoot it much either. I can't keep the rear buckhorn sight, front sight and target all in focus at the same time, hence the peep sight on my Model 94.

I don't hunt anymore, but I killed all of my deer here in Oregon with either that Model 94 30-30, or with my Model 70 .270 with 3-9 Redfield for more open spaces. I used a Browning Citori 12ga for most of my bird hunting.

I inherited Dad's Remington 12ga Wingmaster and Browning Sweet 16, but I had three sisters and gave them to my BIL's because they wanted them badly and I already had my own. The Sweet 16 was Dad's favorite trap gun and he hunted with the 870..

I already had a Winchester Model 94 30-30 with peep sights when I inherited Dads Model 336 with buckhorn sights, so I didn't shoot it much either. I can't keep the rear buckhorn sight, front sight and target all in focus at the same time, hence the peep sight on my Model 94.

I don't hunt anymore, but I killed all of my deer here in Oregon with either that Model 94 30-30, or with my Model 70 .270 with 3-9 Redfield for more open spaces. I used a Browning Citori 12ga for most of my bird hunting.

I inherited Dad's Remington 12ga Wingmaster and Browning Sweet 16, but I had three sisters and gave them to my BIL's because they wanted them badly and I already had my own. The Sweet 16 was Dad's favorite trap gun and he hunted with the 870..
I bought my youngest a sweet 16 for when he turns 16. It's only had 20 shells through it, I bought it from a really good friend of my dad's.
My .260 is a Remington model seven, I think my mossberg 16 is a 500b? I can't remember lol.
I've got so many guns it's crazy 🤪

My father spent 2.5 years in the front line during WWII attached to Paton's 8th. We had no guns in the house. He'd seen enough of 'em. I started wheeling and dealing to acquire a Kesler 12ga. single shot, a Remington .22. and a Belgian Browning .25ACP handgun by the time I was 16. The Old Man found 'em and away they went.
When I turned 18, I started again. I bought my baby girl her first rifle when she was six. Still got it. It's a kid sized single shot Cricket. She got her first handgun, a Beretta .22, when she was 12.
After I discovered the short length of log chain behind the Old Man's bedroom door, the only thing he had to defend himself and my Mother against a society that had gone wild, I pitched in with my brother and bought him a Colt Detective Special. He was glad to get it.

Well, the saga of the air control switch in the plow Jeep is over. I ordered one from ebay (China) after asking the local dealer about 'em. They said there was two left in the state three years ago, and they were $700. Woh. I put up with it through two seasons and finally found one on ebay for a hundred bucks. Ordered it April 2nd. The guy dicked me around, and I finally got my money back on 7/4. Ordered one from Kali for $20 more and had it in a week. Took me all of an hour including breaks to let the back calm down to get the old one out and the new one in. Happy happy joy joy! It works like a charm.

Well, the saga of the air control switch in the plow Jeep is over. I ordered one from ebay (China) after asking the local dealer about 'em. They said there was two left in the state three years ago, and they were $700. Woh. I put up with it through two seasons and finally found one on ebay for a hundred bucks. Ordered it April 2nd. The guy dicked me around, and I finally got my money back on 7/4. Ordered one from Kali for $20 more and had it in a week. Took me all of an hour including breaks to let the back calm down to get the old one out and the new one in. Happy happy joy joy! It works like a charm.
1720733011299.png

So.... how do you tell you baby sister a year younger that a month is too long to visit.. we talked about her coming down and decided 10 days to 2wks. 2 days later she sends me copies of her tickets.. Arriving on July 31's instead of Aug10th, and, leaving on Aug 28th. Um, not seen you in over 10yrs, and not sure we can even get along for more then 2wks. besides, company starts to get stink after a week... so a month..

And to boot, the hottest month of the year with most hurricane issues. ugh. I love my sis but geez...

I did talk to her and her departing ticket is open ended, meaning, she has the option to change it to whatever. so... we'll see how it goes, but, anyone ever have company stay that dang long... LOL.

So.... how do you tell you baby sister a year younger that a month is too long to visit.. we talked about her coming down and decided 10 days to 2wks. 2 days later she sends me copies of her tickets.. Arriving on July 31's instead of Aug10th, and, leaving on Aug 28th. Um, not seen you in over 10yrs, and not sure we can even get along for more then 2wks. besides, company starts to get stink after a week... so a month..

And to boot, the hottest month of the year with most hurricane issues. ugh. I love my sis but geez...

I did talk to her and her departing ticket is open ended, meaning, she has the option to change it to whatever. so... we'll see how it goes, but, anyone ever have company stay that dang long... LOL.
Maybe things will go well Carty. I miss talking to my sister about recipes and trading flower bulbs and seeds.

We put my old bed together this evening. My three year olds first night in a real bed.
It was my dads bed from 4 years old to marriage. It was my bed from the same age, to 24 when I got married.
Now it’s my boys bed.
Can’t wait to finish this model so I can get back on the Citabria. Spring steel came in a few weeks ago so I can continue with the build. She’s almost ready to cover.

Latest posts

Back