Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 70s, using Isomerizer for hash oil, one step was to first take the basket of prepared weed ready to extract, with filter in basket and pour near boiling water through the weed. It would come out near black at first, then go clearish. Then you had to dry the weed out before the alch extraction and isomerization. If nothing else, it did reduce the size and weight of the pile to be extracted. Oil was still blackish, or super dark green. Not red or honey colored.

Bubba

Good to know. Butter always has a bit of water in it. Except the real stuff that comes from the cow out back maybe. Don’t know if there would be water in that but I’ve churned enough of it as a kid. The ghee is a good tip if it keeps the chlorophyll out. The worst thing about edibles imo.
Real fresh churned butter also still has water in it from the milk. Clarifying removes both the water and the milk solids.

If anyone is interested, clarifying butter is simple. Just heat in pan to melt, scoop out all the particulate matter which floats on top like foam. I think this stuff lasts considerably longer than butter, but I generally make it as I use it.

Bubba

In the 70s, using Isomerizer for hash oil, one step was to first take the basket of prepared weed ready to extract, with filter in basket and pour near boiling water through the weed. It would come out near black at first, then go clearish. Then you had to dry the weed out before the alch extraction and isomerization. If nothing else, it did reduce the size and weight of the pile to be extracted. Oil was still blackish, or super dark green. Not red or honey colored.

Bubba
The dark green was chlorophyll extracted by the polar alcohol.

You can extract cannabis concentrate with alcohol and end up with amber extract, but you have to do it cold enough to minimize pickup of the longer chain molecules like C-29 waxes, C-40 carotene, or C-55 Chlorophyll/pheophytin. Typically -50C to -70C.

It is also done with a quick wash technique, rather that soxhlation like the Isomerizer does.

Real fresh churned butter also still has water in it from the milk. Clarifying removes both the water and the milk solids.
I think my mom use to do something like that. Heating it on the stove…She would make butter cheese buttermilk and other sour milk products. I was kinda glad when we got rid of the cow and started getting beautiful milk that the milkman brought to the front door and chocolate milk too sometimes. And no more milking duties. I do remember dipping my finger in the cream that had rose to the top in the container it was very sweet.

Yup, I needed pet. ether to get red or honey....if only I knew about QWET!

We used pet ether, pentane, hexane, and heptane for nonpolar solvents, before switching to LPG. They all do a good job, but are harder to purge and Hexane also produces 2.5 Hexane Dione, which is a known carcinogen.

I think my mom use to do something like that. Heating it on the stove…She would make butter cheese buttermilk and other sour milk products. I was kinda glad when we got rid of the cow and started getting beautiful milk that the milkman brought to the front door and chocolate milk too sometimes. And no more milking duties. I do remember dipping my finger in the cream that had rose to the top in the container it was very sweet.
I was a city kid for the first five years of my life. The dude with the funny hat, dressed in white, driving a Reo milk truck delivered it to the door (milk box door built into the side of the house) in bottles that you could beat a nail in a 2x4 with and had a waxed cardboard plug in it. If ya stood out and waited for him on a hot summer day, he'd hand ya a couple of ice cubes to cool down with.

I was the milkman growing up and spent a fair amount of time churning butter in a churn or just a fruit jar, as well as turning the crank for first class ice cream. We had a Jersey cow, which produced 3.5 gallons of milk twice a day heavy in butter fats.

I’ve actually never visited a dispensary here. Most of the edibles I’ve received from friends like the brownies I sent you came from pop up sales most likely made by locals. I do have a friend that makes them and sells them to local folks. Perhaps I could hook you up. I’m not sure if she does mail order but she might. She makes delicious candy and other goodies but I’m not sure how much she charges.
A Brothers wife friend who is a sweet Gal has a nephew who makes brownies ,looks like 8" x 10" for $50.
They are the best tasting brownies and a 1 1/2 square makes me do the hokey pokey
rather do more pokey than hokey but things dont work the way you want some times...

Last edited:
It wasn't as bad as the time back when I was young, piloting my B-17 over Schweinfester with three engines burning and one of them turning...

...And my autopilot had just bailed out with the last parachute, leaving me with a silkworm and a needle. I wuz a busy muthafugger...

...Or when I was just a kid -- light dragoon at Balaclava and that jerk Cardigan went straight when he shoulda wheeled to save the damn' cannons. I never told anyone about how I "accidentally" whupped his horsie into motion by surreptitiously snapping my loose reins on its ass. I never expected the spavined beast I was on to follow him down the dang valley.
You dont need to smoke better weed , you're smoking good stuff as it is

no word from Boo

rain here this afternoon so i better get at it , gonna till up the 30’ x 60’ garden with all the volunteers

but nothing will be planted , gonna give me and the garden a rest this year

although Swede did plant potatoes , we have garlic from last fall , she is gonna throw in a couple of squash and tomato plants , but that is about it

off to the salt mines!

Anybody ever use a still to reclaim the alcohol?
I do have a still, but alcohol is so cheap I just let it go. Many "lab" fires are from reclamation efforts, usually mis use of ether. Even with ether back in the day, and as hard as it was to get lab grade ether (metal can like brake fluid came in) I still let it go to the sky. Plus, my efforts are small, for my own use.In the day with ether, i still did an alcohol extraction first. Much less than trying to extract the weed with ether! That, and you would need a whole new setup....the little Isomerizer was never ever ever intended to use anything but alcohol, NOT ether! That would be a disaster. Ether fumes are more explosive the gasoline, which is insanely bad.

Bubba

Last edited:
While seemingly worthless for your education, I'm pleased my input was good for a laugh brother Walt. I'm however left aghast and agape that logophile such as yourself continues to have such a spotty grasp of the English language.

To save you the time and trouble to Google such a common word, I included a wikipedia link, but just insert clarified butter in the place of Ghee to understand the context. It will work with plain butter, but the water in the butter will pick up some of the chlorophyll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee
Oh, we know whut ghee is. The best is made from mare's milk. But she saw the funny part where we were both thinking mare's milk.

We have used ghee, and I know it takes longer to cook with that than clarified butter. So anybody can prolly buy ghee in a local store around here.

But then, we come to the show-stopper: The part where Martha Stewart gets the hook and hoists up the bale of weed to be used in the recipe...

If anyone is interested, clarifying butter is simple. Just heat in pan to melt, scoop out all the particulate matter which floats on top like foam. I think this stuff lasts considerably longer than butter, but I generally make it as I use it.

Bubba
Back inna Olden Days, we would take an old flour sifter and lower the screen into the melted butter a bit. Take it out, wipe, repeat.

Wrestled the rotovator onto the back of the Kubota. Took me and the Old Hen both, and it wasn't easy. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the easiest, the implement installation and removal would be;
1) Backhoe
2) Front end loader
3) Mower deck
4,5,6,7,8) Anything that hooks onto the three point hitch.
10) That damned rotovator. PITA.

Latest posts

Back