Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1667589235447.png

I used to do that as well. Actually had to dip our rod in the water to keep our rod guides from freezing up. Used to be fun not so much nowadays. However I have been out on the water in the last 2 weeks when it was under 30° I have to remind myself how much fun this is.
It does feel good to "force" yourself to these things, sort of brings out the bit of tough that's left! Shark must move forward and all.

Bubba

Happy satyrday brothers and sisters and all hail Lord Saturn!

More rain starting at 50F and 72% RH, with 7 mph breeze and predicted to soar to 58F.

Enjoying my daughters visit and especially thankful for her help setting up my cameras. A project full of twists and IT roadblocks that I would have never figured out and am amazed at how patiently she continues to dig to sort it out, including with tech support that is clueless, besides speaking hard to understand heavily accented Indianglis. Currently trying to get the recording to auxiliary drive working after discovering that the commands were ignoring us because Blink/Amazon wants to sell cloud space and we had to delete the free home trial and wait a day for them to disconnect, before it would accept instructions from us.

Heavy rains and windy yesterday, so we stuck mostly indoors except for grocery shopping, and today we will show the Portland sights to our new SIL

Okay back upstairs. Tea is brewing, two more starts have shown Roots overnight, girls also need fed and have some up potting for the ladies waiting to get into the flower attend. I'm going to be busy here than a one legged man in an azz kicking contest this morning at least.

Looks like a cloudy start to the day I don't care I can't see the Sun from my basement anyway.

Strike the mainsails; foresails only. 50 MPH gales out there. Had to pull the flags off the flagpole. She had a pretty good bend going. Looks like the gales of November came early. Bet the pucker factor is pretty high on the Big Lakes.

Strike the mainsails; foresails only. 50 MPH gales out there. Had to pull the flags off the flagpole. She had a pretty good bend going. Looks like the gales of November came early. Bet the pucker factor is pretty high on the Big Lakes.
Illusions, my last boat, didn't come alive until the small craft warning were out, but at 50 mph gusts, I would be down to a storm hanky..............

Merry day of the Sun all! More rain here in Paradise, starting at 46F and 86% RH, with 12 mph breeze and predicted to soar to 47F in the heat of the day.

Family visit going well, though I picked a bad day for a tour of the Scenic Highway waterfalls, because there was no parking at any of them, due to heavy participation by the rest of society. Not a showstopper because my SIL is recovering from knee surgery and wearing a brace, so not heavily into walking.

More good food. A mid-day wild Blackberry concentrate over Cheesecake, with Grayfox and my daughter treating us to a delightful dinner of thick cut breaded porkchops with asparagus and small potatoes and I marveled everyone with Creme Brule topped with candied orange peel.

Planning more scenic touring today, and I will whomp up a batch of my infamous Jalapeno Lemonade. I also have some candied rose petals to top off the balance of the Creme Brule Le Orange.

Everyone enjoying Miss Layla and Sweet Melissa, who have started sharing affection after Miss Layla properly explained to the interlopers what dangerous ground they were treading on and who had their eye on them. Both are animal lovers and missing their own, so with some treats, it didn't take long.

50 mph winds and I would heave to , get down below and strap in

and the really smart sailors would never sail into conditions like that…not a good sailor anyway , one that plans ahead

there is always the unpredictable squall and if one sails long enough one will experience a puckering storm

good morning

The gails last night were a curse wrapped in a blessing. Only had to pick up less than 20 bushels of leaves and a mess of tree branches, but it saved me from having to climb up on the roof of the main shead to blow 'em off. Clean as a whistle up there.
It's a sunny 60 degrees out with a mile breeze. Kinda pretty compared to what's coming this winter.
Plow goes on the Jeep tomorrow. How many weeks have I said that so far? :)

http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

SILENZIO'...BEAUTIFUL AND HAUNTING

About six miles from Maastricht, in the Netherlands, lie buried 8,301 American soldiers who died in "Operation Market Garden" in the battles to liberate Holland in the fall/winter of 1944. Every one of the men buried in the cemetery, as well as those in the Canadian and British military cemeteries, has been adopted by a Dutch family who mind the grave, decorate it, and keep alive the memory of the soldier they have adopted. It is even the custom to keep a portrait of "their" soldier in a place of honour in their home.

Annually, on "Liberation Day," memorial services are held for "the men who died to liberate Holland." The day concludes with a concert. The final piece is always "Il Silenzio," a memorial piece commissioned by the Dutch and first played in 1965 on the 20th anniversary of Holland's liberation. It has been the concluding piece of the memorial concert ever since.

This year the soloist was a 13-year-old Dutch girl, Melissa Venema, backed by André Rieu and his orchestra (the Royal Orchestra of the Netherlands). This beautiful concert piece is based upon the original version of taps and was composed by Italian composer Nino Rossi.

Latest posts

Back