The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Rosty might have the same recollection as mine back on Long Island: There were no blacks at all in our town/schools in the 50's. Zerio. We were unaware of the anomaly.
We were all white until 7th grade. I don't remember any black neighbors as a kid growing up.Schools had integrated but neighborhoods had not. Once you hit Jr High, there was one and one high school. So busing brought us to the school.

Bubba

All us kids had to have a mini bike. Raised Money any way we could. Mine was 250 bucks, 5 horsepower Tecumseh engine. Trail Horse. That was a lot of money for a 12 year old in the late 60s. If you were flush you got the Rupp.

Bubba

383e7fec5a51ed3e.png

We were all white until 7th grade. I don't remember any black neighbors as a kid growing up.Schools had integrated but neighborhoods had not. Once you hit Jr High, there was one and one high school. So busing brought us to the school.

Bubba
I went to a mostly white school based on the neighborhood we lived in. In 1970 5th grade for me I was bussed to a mostly black school on a mostly black bus for diversity reasons. I was afraid as many of the kids both black and white like me were raised by prejudice parents and I felt in danger at times being bullied by one of the black boys on the bus every morning. Herbert Griffin was his name. Bus driver knew it was happening too and did nothing. I’ll bet Herbert doesn’t remember me…

All us kids had to have a mini bike. Raised Money any way we could. Mine was 250 bucks, 5 horsepower Tecumseh engine. Trail Horse. That was a lot of money for a 12 year old in the late 60s. If you were flush you got the Rupp.

Bubba
My father wouldn't let me buy one for safeties sake, so I built my first one starting with a two-cylinder Maytag engine, followed by a 1.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton, followed by a Cushman Husky 5 hp engine.

Then one of my friends died after stacking up his Cushman Eagle while we were out riding and Dad made me dismantle the scooter and sell the parts.

I went to a mostly white school based on the neighborhood we lived in. In 1970 5th grade for me I was bussed to a mostly black school on a mostly black bus for diversity reasons. I was afraid as many of the kids both black and white like me were raised by prejudice parents and I felt in danger at times being bullied by one of the black boys on the bus every morning. Herbert Griffin was his name. Bus driver knew it was happening too and did nothing. I’ll bet Herbert doesn’t remember me…
Forget the bus driver** that would never have been tolerated for a split-second anywhere around where I lived. Just wouldn't/couldn't. A boy bullying a girl? He'd have been ostracized from society like a leper. That is, after he got home after he had been de-pantsed by all the others on the bus.

**Now to the driver. There was decorum on the bus. Enforced by the driver. Period.

I think Rosty might have the same recollection as mine back on Long Island: There were no blacks at all in our town/schools in the 50's. Zerio. We were unaware of the anomaly.
This (now humorously embarrassing) situation arose when I was a little kid. My Daddy took me to Brooklyn for some reason, and I got to ride a genuine, dead-serious trolley car. With a wonderful bell...

But back to what happened next: I suddenly saw a whole bunch of negroes ("black" had not yet been invented") for the first time in my life, and I was astounded.

I absolutely turned and asked: "How can they tell each other apart? They all look the same!"

Bubba
A Rupp was like a caddy of mini bikes !
Mercury clutches also remember

Latest posts

Back