The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started the real rehabbing today, swimming... yup, back to getting into shape and strengthening up this new right hip of mine. the 11th will be a month and I have 5wks before they do my left hip... hoping with the swimming I can drop another 20lbs making it 80lbs then.. right now I'm happy being able to maintain my 60lb loss...

Feels good to start taking life by the horns again...
Good luck Carty. Pain but in the end you will be glad you went through this. I made Mrs Pute get cataract surgery last winter......she gave me an ear full saying it wasn't necessary......today she is a different person. No glasses and can see a flea on a dogs ass a half mile away....ha ha.

aaff396.jpg

I was just in a converstion with the author of a novel he is writing (with my suggestions, nitpicking, editing, and other annoying activities).

He told me he was appalled -- he had been invited to give a presentation to a writer's convention about 150 miles from his farm.

He said he "considered the presentation a disaster". One of the main characters in his novel is Margaret Thatcher, the Iron Lady PM. NOBODY in the fargin place even knew who the heck she was!! All younger writers.

In his words:

"I won't go into the boring details, but one thing came out of the responses to my presentation: Walt and Ted are OLD. My audience didn't even know who Maggie Thatcher was. ...gives you an idea on how things went. Other than a periodic trip to the grocery store, I may never leave the farm again."

Then he said, "You and I are old school, Walt."

So I commiserated with him and told him of my Good Morning America experience to cheer him up. I told him how the other guy there on stage with me had a sword and epaulette that I offered him $5000.00 for on the air. He would not take it, even though in a public sale it might only fetch about $200 or so.

He walked onto the stage thinking he was the last Sned. <-- I have run into this a LOT. I was able to look him up in my published genealogy of the Sneds, showing him his lineage back to 1605 including everyone who in that branch of the Family tree had married into the Family during that time. He had only known back to Garret.

So that made 3 of us who are Old School.

This one:
1662659127734.png

1662659166900.png

He repIied:
"I am not surprised he turned the 5Gs down. If it were hanging over my fireplace, mere money would never take it down. I definitely get it. Sounds like a Sned, for sure."

Last edited:

This is a recipe for garlic soup i made today muy deliciousa​

Ingredients​

• 2 medium potatoes
  • 1 brown onion
  • 1 large leek
  • 2 whole small heads of garlic (2oz - 60g each)
  • 7 cups chicken stock
  • ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
  • ½ cup cream
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped parsley
  • 6 slices of rustic bread for Croutons
  • Salt and pepper

Steps​

• Step 1
    Peel and chop the onions medium finely. Set aside. Peel the garlic cloves, set aside. Wash and chop the leek, set aside.
  • Step 2
    In a heavy pot or saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add the chopped onion, leek and dried thyme, leave to sweat, do not brown. Add the garlic and turn heat to low. Cook gently for about 15 minutes
  • Step 3
    While that’s cooking, peel and dice the potatoes then add to the pot along with all the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper, simmer gently for 25 – 30 minutes.
  • Step 4
    Add the cream, mix well then blitz in a blender or use a stick blender directly in the pot. Taste for seasoning.
  • Step 5
    For the croutons, simply dice up some of the bread and fry in olive oil on low heat until brown and crispy, the slower you cook them, the crispy they will remain in the soup.
  • Step 6

anyone have a good New England clam chowder recipe?……..SubGirl?

anyone have a good New England clam chowder recipe?……..SubGirl?
River City Clam Chowder from Portland’s Palate cookbook

8 Slices pepper bacon, diced

½ Cup butter (1cube)

½ Large onion

1 Cup celery (2 large stalks), chopped

½ cup all-purpose flour

4 (6-ounce) cans chopped clams or 2 cups fresh clams, shucked

3 Large potatoes, peeled and cubed

3 Cups milk

½ Cup half and half

* Salt and white pepper to taste.

Cook bacon until browned in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.

Drain grease,

Add utter, onions, and celery to stockpot and cook over medium heat until softened and onions are translucent.

Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

Drain clams and reserve the liquid in a 1-pint measuring cup. Add enough water to clam liquid to equal 2 cups.

Add this liquid slowly to mixture in stockpot, stirring constantly. Add potatoes and bring mixture to boil.

Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Add clams, milk and half and half.

Heat until thickened, being careful not to boil.

Add salt and pepper and serve.

Last edited:
thanks for the recipes

my plan worked

i knew if I looked up a few recipes and Swede found out that I was gonna make some clam chowder using a recipe , she won’t have any of it , she knows how to make it the best , so she took the bait and told me she would cook up,a,batch of it when the weather turns a little cooler

she pointed out the differences of her recipe and the ones I was reading…..her changes are a-ok in my book….

more heavy cream , smash the taters up make the entire soup more creamy , she adds a few carrots , never let the cream boil , more butter ….ha!…it’s a win win for me!

The Portland Palate recipe is the west coast version of an east coast tradition. We actually have lots of clams here and they are a part of Portland's tradition.
Y’all do have some delicious clams and seafood in Portland. The times I was lucky enough to visit ther I ate seafood everyday

I eat more seafood than beef. For my birthday tomorrow, we are headed for McCormick and Smick for crawfish.
I love me some crawdads. You eating them in a fancy restaurant wow! Do you suck the heads? Just asking we do down south…
A9E2731C-5BD3-4999-8FA9-DF7755DC3C6A.jpeg

Have a sweet Birthday GW. Enjoy your night out 💕

Latest posts

Back