Smach's 2024 Virginia outdoor grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even in Ohio, I'm having to water a second time probably half the time. Using 7 and 10 gallon cloth pots, I feed close to your schedule, but with Jack's. Yesterday, we had 1/2 inch of rain overnight. I fed the plants around 11am. By evening, they were drying so they each got a gallon of water. It's been plenty windy causing more drying. It's been hot humid and rainy so far this summer, hope it dries up a bit going forward.
Thats my problem too the wind with the high temps.

Last edited:
I hope the humidity drops some. Coupled with the heat it has been terrible. Tomatoes are taking a beating.
I have a big umbrellas that shades my tomatoes and veggies during the hottest part of the day.
Dallas area is in 3 digit temps and I'm still growing tomatoes and veggies.

1722598105811.png

Day 95

As of August 1, I'm dropping Grow Big and adding Big Bloom. So every other day they're getting 1T / gal of Big Bloom and Buds and Blooms and 1t cal-mag / gal. I mix 2 gallons and split it among the three plants. People say Foxfarm nutes can run hot, but at this concentration and frequency, these plant seem plenty healthy.

It's been crazy hot.

Heavy spray with spinosad and bT every Monday, heavy spray with 50/50 Agrowlyte every Tuesday, no sign of the enemy(ies).

Flower update. One GSC farther along than the other, the Gary Payton I'd say at least a couple of weeks behind. Pics:

IMG_8275.jpg
IMG_8274.jpg
IMG_8273.jpg

Only way I can ever water i pots unless they are huge pots is to water from the bottom or just let a bucket full drip really slow till they are wet. You know how good they look after a couple days of big rain. The only way to duplicate that is by using a shallow tray and let the pots wick it from the bottom up. I can never get a good watering pouring a jug in the pot.

Day 104

Comin' along...

I've noticed a couple of hints of WPM, and given the time of year I figure I'll spray Agrowlyte twice a week for a while and see how it goes. This is the furthest into the season I've been in 4 years and not really having much of the stuff. Usually I've got the fan blowing by now.

The Gary Payton is just barely starting to flower...I think. Maybe it'll be ready by Christmas. The GSCs are looking robust.

IMG_8307.jpg
IMG_8306.jpg
IMG_8305.jpg

These black fabric "pots" I use are pretty forgiving. It seems almost impossible to over-water.
Overwatering isn't the act of giving to much water at one time, it is the act of giving water too frequently which suffocates the roots.

Outside it's almost impossible to overwater because stuff can handle water everyday with how hot it is.

I have to water my veggies twice a day. Especially the stuff in fabric pots.

View attachment 360782
Yep me too anything over 100 I do too. If it stays in the 90s I water very well in the morning. Every night I check them if they are praying I leave them if they are even s little droopy they get a small watering just to wet their whistle till morning. Nutes only in morning water at evening.

Yep me too anything over 100 I do too. If it stays in the 90s I water very well in the morning. Every night I check them if they are praying I leave them if they are even s little droopy they get a small watering just to wet their whistle till morning. Nutes only in morning water at evening.
Even up north, when it gets that hot, I often need a second water on the fabric pots. Next year, they go in the ground which should minimize my watering duties a bit.

Day 129

Not much to report, but Fall is here and it's showing on the plants. Two GSC are filling out nicely with milky trichomes and leaves turning yellow and dying off. They're within 3-4 weeks of harvest. (Went 150 days last year, chopped October 5, and probably could have gone another week). Gary Payton is still kicking right along and for now is behind the GSC. The whole back yard smells to "high" heaven. I'll be setting up the shed for drying pretty soon now.

Still giving the same nutrients for now. May taper that off in the next week or two as we approach harvest. Haven't done any bT or spinosad for a couple of weeks now and don't see any evidence of critters. I've done a few weekly Agrowlyte sprays, and haven't seen much powdery mildew. Weather is about perfect. Sunny, 80, cool nights, no rain. Still plenty of time for something to go wrong, but so far so good.

IMG_8397.jpg
IMG_8395.jpg
IMG_8394.jpg
IMG_8393.jpg
IMG_8392.jpg

Day 129

Not much to report, but Fall is here and it's showing on the plants. Two GSC are filling out nicely with milky trichomes and leaves turning yellow and dying off. They're within 3-4 weeks of harvest. (Went 150 days last year, chopped October 5, and probably could have gone another week). Gary Payton is still kicking right along and for now is behind the GSC. The whole back yard smells to "high" heaven. I'll be setting up the shed for drying pretty soon now.

Still giving the same nutrients for now. May taper that off in the next week or two as we approach harvest. Haven't done any bT or spinosad for a couple of weeks now and don't see any evidence of critters. I've done a few weekly Agrowlyte sprays, and haven't seen much powdery mildew. Weather is about perfect. Sunny, 80, cool nights, no rain. Still plenty of time for something to go wrong, but so far so good.

View attachment 362194View attachment 362195View attachment 362196View attachment 362197View attachment 362198
Beautiful

Latest posts

Back