Members Only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, like your memory, the barrels have holes in them, lol.
I also read that peat gets more acidic over time, but that doesn’t necessarily make sense to me.
How many thousands of years does peat lay under ground before it is dug up and put in bags?
What would cause it to get more acidic after doing so?
I say it’s just as good as it ever was after getting flushed with rain water for several months.
Either way, I am super happy with the results I have experienced thus far.
All you need to get started is 3 plastic barrels with holes drilled in the bottom.
Once you have two of them completely full, start using dirt from the 1st one, while you are filling up the 3rd.
Then, you just simply keep the rotation going.
It’s easy to see that not a one of my plants are mad about it, so I say win win.
😂
I don’t grow enough to have 3 55 gallon drums of soil but I can see modifying the process and using 5 gallon buckets(maybe 6 and rotating 3 and 3). I think peat is acidic in bogs which is why bodies buried in bogs mummify. Maybe peat cut from bogs gets washed with some kind of alkaline water before sale? Whatever the reason, I like not having to buy bags of dirt.

Yes I have 2 barrells just sitting in my yard now. We dont get rain I would have to flush myself. Right now I just flush the pots At least once a week.

Here I was thinking you might be one of the people on here that this would work for, lack of rain didn’t dawn on me until you mentioned it.
I would still give it a try, and just flush the barrels once a week.
I had my doubts about this as well, but I believe it would be worth your effort, especially considering what you have to pay for soil in your area.

😂
I don’t grow enough to have 3 55 gallon drums of soil but I can see modifying the process and using 5 gallon buckets(maybe 6 and rotating 3 and 3). I think peat is acidic in bogs which is why bodies buried in bogs mummify. Maybe peat cut from bogs gets washed with some kind of alkaline water before sale? Whatever the reason, I like not having to buy bags of dirt.

It takes me forever to go through a 55 gallon barrel, but the longer it takes to empty one, is the longer the one on deck is flushed, which is my main priority.
If I had to take a guess, I bet it takes a good 4 months for me to go through one barrel.
The first one didn’t last that long because I ended up using some of it on my garden.
The next time I switch barrels, I will write the date on it with a sharpie.

Here I was thinking you might be one of the people on here that this would work for, lack of rain didn’t dawn on me until you mentioned it.
I would still give it a try, and just flush the barrels once a week.
I had my doubts about this as well, but I believe it would be worth your effort, especially considering what you have to pay for soil in your area.
I am going to try it. I already have 2 barrels sitting around. F’in hoarder sister brought them here. She Said I could use them. I have tools in one and dirty grow bags in the other.

Latest posts

Back