Carty Grows Jan's Gifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MG is a good medium. I would never say it is. I've grown in it along with other soil mixes.

The only issues I have with bringing soils in is them damn gnats. Ya have to treat everything or fight the swarms. Ya get tired of fishing them out of your coffee cup..lol

MG is a good medium. I would never say it is. I've grown in it along with other soil mixes.

The only issues I have with bringing soils in is them damn gnats. Ya have to treat everything or fight the swarms. Ya get tired of fishing them out of your coffee cup..lol
Haha you are like my brother was. Flick our the gnat and keep on drinking. I dumped mine yesterday. I went to mist my clones and came back with a fly upside down floating in my freshly made brew. Bummer.

Only soli I've ever got gnats from was Fox Farms.
Every one I've ever brought home I eventually got them. Ive had them critter in all mediums but it seems every time I introduce soils indoors I eventually end up with a fight.

With this peat I've been doing okay so far. I have traps n dunks available if needed. Them little things are annoying and can cause damage.

To be fair. Sometimes they can be brought home from the grocery store.

Only had gnats one time and that was an inside grow with Fox Farms.
Never used it again so I don't know to much about it.

Every one I've ever brought home I eventually got them. Ive had them critter in all mediums but it seems every time I introduce soils indoors I eventually end up with a fight.

With this peat I've been doing okay so far. I have traps n dunks available if needed. Them little things are annoying and can cause damage.

To be fair. Sometimes they can be brought home from the grocery store.

This is why I use the Promix and Peat that has been completely dried and compressed. Never had the first bug

I've used them all overe 20yrs.. and because of where I live in the tropical jungle, fungus gnats is a battle I face on every grow. from Foxfarm to Roots Organics, eventually the bugs would come. but, after seeing some of the battles others face, I welcome just fungus gnats. I've been pretty successful battling them with sticky traps and soaps.. If I had the setup, I'd take the MG soil and run it thru a grinder ...

Only soli I've ever got gnats from was Fox Farms.
when I bought soils from a place that stored it in a shed outside, my fungus gnat issue was at it's worst. or lord forbig walmart where it's stored in the rain, gets wet, then fungus gnats lay eggs in it. get it home all seems fine for a week.. then the suckers are crawling everywhere in the soil.

Buy you soil from a place where it is stored indoors and dry. I bought some of the Promix from walmart 2 grows ago, same thing. Idiots store it outside in the garden section in the rain... gnats.

feel like it's just something I have to deal with where I live is all ....

Let's take a peek at seeds sent by Jan....

Batch #1 in flowering tent
IMG_20240707_205919.jpg
IMG_20240707_210012.jpg
IMG_20240707_205942~2.jpg
IMG_20240707_210025~3.jpg
IMG_20240707_205952.jpg
IMG_20240707_205957~2.jpg

Batch #2

yeah, I couldn't resist. Biggest reason is I really want to keep testing the WW..

and I've actually added a few photo periods at Jan's request, hard to say know to her...
Ice Princess... then, somehow not paying attention, I missed they were fem'd so I put 2
in each pot x's 2 pots... 4 total and all 4 popped up.

I did the same thing with the WW and have already lost 2. life is never fair, just have to adjust.
IMG_20240707_211624.jpg
IMG_20240707_211624~2.jpg
IMG_20240707_210134.jpg

IMG_20240707_210134~2.jpg

All of these came up on July 4th.. it was amazing. so this is my Independence Grow..... insert fireworks here... lol
Ok.. here is another hint on how I do things... pay attention, pull up your chair...

When you plant your seedling, plant it shallow, fingernail deep. I lay mine on their side tail downward.
I keep it moist using an eye dropper.. if you water by hand, most likely you'll flood the seedling and force it downward and bury it.. some never show due to this growing upside down.

Let the plant grow for a few days and then, top off your soil by adding enough to give the stem the extra support it needs to avoid stemming over. the more you allow the stem to fight in the wind early on the healthier this plant will become and the bigger the stem. Silica helps big time in your feeding schedule.

I'm starting to realize that many growers who are having issues with stunted plants, be it autos or photos, is their soil...

If you are constantly having issues with young plants, here is my advice.
hit 2nd hand stores and find a coffee grinder. grind that soil up, get rid of all them sticks and chunks of bark.. even my Miracle Grow soil has some..
Add perlite 3 to 1 %. so 3 cups ground soil to 1 cup of perlite. (do not use vermiculite indoors) and why I use perlite... they also make chunky and super chunky perlite. Perlite is your friend. It prevents the soil from compacting, thus, trapping roots..

Latest posts

Back