Bugus Monkey's new and improved puzzle basement and various ramblings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is weird that the two of you are having issues popping seeds. Are they from the same vendor(I hesitate to use the term breeder anymore as it seems that tide turned when legalization went into overdrive)? Are the seeds old and how do you store them? I store mine in the fridge with some of those desiccant packs. I haven’t popped any of my 2019 seeds recently but other people have and they seem to be viable and vigorous. I wonder if vendors store seeds in a freezer. I know some cannabis seeds will survive freezing since my neighbor had some volunteers pop up this year that had overwintered in her yard.

I keep them at room temperature in low humidity, and have popped some from 2020 not that long ago. The GDPA and SF seeds were from plants I pollinated and for sure the SF seeds have been troublesome in the past, but not the GDPA. I also had some tomato and pepper seeds leftover from seeds I started in the spring, and they didn't pop either.

Putting them in the fridge is for reducing humidity? I considered it when I read that others did it, but I wondered if the heating and cooling of the defrosting process would be harmful.

Puzzling, I haven't had a problem basically ever. I am going to try scuffing some seeds also. Do the edge where the separate, or just right on the side of them? Strange how it seems to have happened all at once.
I do the edges. I'm not sure if the goal is to open the seams for water to get in, or to weaken the shell to let the sprout out. With the stubborn SF seeds my experience is they need to sink in water over a couple of hours, or they need more sanding.

I keep them at room temperature in low humidity, and have popped some from 2020 not that long ago. The GDPA and SF seeds were from plants I pollinated and for sure the SF seeds have been troublesome in the past, but not the GDPA. I also had some tomato and pepper seeds leftover from seeds I started in the spring, and they didn't pop either.

Putting them in the fridge is for reducing humidity? I considered it when I read that others did it, but I wondered if the heating and cooling of the defrosting process would be harmful.
I put them in the fridge just because I figured it would slow down any degradation. Might not though. I make sure they are good and dry before storing them by storing them in sealed containers with those desiccant packs for some random period of time😂(probably not really making sure they are good and dry-just assuming they are).

Puzzling, I haven't had a problem basically ever. I am going to try scuffing some seeds also. Do the edge where they separate, or just right on the side of them? Strange how it seems to have happened all at once.
I have heard of people lining a matchbox with fine sandpaper and shaking the seeds in the matchbox to weaken the seed covering. I haven’t tried it though.

Latest posts

Back