am i rushing my seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjdigger

Reaction score
bought 10 lil devil feminized seeds from nivarnia.
lites;2-2ft 5500k grow lites
room temp 80 degrees
room temp water ph .6.0
seeds 5.5 mm down in moist rapid rooters.
germinated for 3 days til the root tail was 1/4 inch long.
its been 7 days and i've lost 2 ,i'm thinking the root must be growing down and attaching itself to the bottom of the rapid rooter before it pushes upward.also looking for replies or opinions on the greenhouse dome to hold humidy ,some people tell me the dome is only for clones.any help greatly appreciated

not sure where to start my friend...I say DOME unless ya hae very high humidty in room..I think your PH needs adjusted...7 days and they head aint popped after 1/4 inch tap? Rapid rotters ya sy...I kow pcduck uses those maybe he chime in..or someone else that can help ya more..Merry Christmas.take care and be safe

You must be doing something seriously wrong, but I do not know what.
What do you mean "germinated for three days until the root was 1/4" long"
- that sounds loco my friend... you shouldn't be watching them like that, it's probably the reason you have lost them all, which you probably have. Seven days and no show? Not much chance. Seed once cracked should show in max 3 days if you have the right conditions. Mine are usually above the surface in 3 days or less with a set of seed leaves.
There is no magic in germination. Just put them 5mm below the surface, use a medium like coco or sphagnum moss peat mix, keep damp, warmth, that's it. And don't poke them or give them any 'love' argh!

i germinated them for 3 days in paper towel til there was a 1/4 tailroot,should have been writen better.they are all about to break ground.
I started another 5 seed batch right into conditioned rockwool and they are almost to the surface

I don't let the tap root get that long...I feel it's too easy to damage the root when it gets that big...I soak my seeds for 12 hours then as soon as they start to crack they go right into my seed starting potting mix from Miracle Grow which gets moistened well with water with a ph of 6.5...Since I started doing it this way my germ ratio has gone way up...

thanks ,thats what i did for the second batch ,as soon as they cracked they whent into conditioned rockwools.The only problem i see and need input on ,is when ,with tweezers i placed the seeds in the hole they landed at the bottom kinda turned.i peeked at them this morning and i see the tail root sideways and then down ,any effect.i think they'll be cool as long as the root's heading downward.
i passed on the heating pad,think it might have cooked the first batch.i grow in a fridge sized cabinet 80 degrees under a dome. 2 -2 ft varilux grow lamps ,i was told not to turn the lite on til i see second set of leaves

I used to stress on getting the seeds into the medium the right way but now i don't worry about it...mother nature has a way of taking care of those things...

You probably boiled them with the heat pad. Germination is easy, people fail by 'messing around with the seeds' usually. My own belief is not to mess with them at all, that means no paper towel etc - paper towel = movement, not good.
Do like Hamster says, same as I do, soak 24 hours then into the medium, leave them alone then.

Latest posts

Back