Godfather OG Quadline Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned a valuable lesson this week about the self-watering wicks in these AC Infinity feeders that I wanted to share for anyone considering these. I had a spare bottle of MaxiCrop Seaweed Extract WITH IRON, so I decided to add some to my reservoirs. Lo and Behold….I discovered that iron clogs the wicks in the self-watering feeders. My plants dried out (not too badly) once the wicking action stopped. I worry about the same problem happening with silica, so I haven’t used that with the AC Infinity bases.

Overall, these bases work great with GH Flora Series nutrients and seaweed extract. They don’t work with iron supplements.

Today I removed both plants from the tent (easier said than done), then flushed out all iron from reservoirs, cleaned the wicks, and filled with fresh nutrients.

Checked the Trichomes on Zkitzz #1 and she still has a lot of clear. I’m going to harvest once they’re all milky white with a few amber. I have a tendency to harvest too early, so I’m trying to be better.

View attachment 350579View attachment 350580

Planning to try my hand at growing some peppers in a 2x2 grow tent. This is all new to me, so I hope 4 plants will fit in a 2x2. Seed choices include:

Small Thai chili hot peppers
Lunchbox pepper seeds
Shishito peppers
Small mini red pepper
Biquinho red peppers

View attachment 350581
I was thinking about buying the ac infinity self watering bases for when I am gone for over a week but hand watering at other times. Would that work? Use the bases for only water and hand feed with nutes?

I was thinking about buying the ac infinity self watering bases for when I am gone for over a week but hand watering at other times. Would that work? Use the bases for only water and hand feed with nutes?

I’m not sure how combining top feeding with bottom feeding would work. I have primarily used bottom feeding through the reservoir so that the roots targeted growth towards the bottom third of the planter. The top layers of coco are very dry using the self watering bases.

In cases where I did try top feeding, the nutrients flushed out a lot of salts out of the medium and into the reservoir. This significantly affected the nutrient solution ppm in the reservoir. The ppm was so high that I needed to flush the reservoirs and start over. So I avoided top feeding altogether when using the self watering bases. The good news is that my nutrients didn’t clog the wicks, so feeding from the reservoir was easy.

So my gut instinct is that I don’t think it would work as a temporary watering solution because a lot of the developed roots (from top feeding) would dry out too much, and you probably don’t have enough deep roots that reach the bottom third of the container. This system only provides moisture to the bottom third of the fiber pots.

Hope that helps….maybe someone else has a different experience with top feeding.

I’m not sure how combining top feeding with bottom feeding would work. I have primarily used bottom feeding through the reservoir so that the roots targeted growth towards the bottom third of the planter. The top layers of coco are very dry using the self watering bases.

In cases where I did try top feeding, the nutrients flushed out a lot of salts out of the medium and into the reservoir. This significantly affected the nutrient solution ppm in the reservoir. The ppm was so high that I needed to flush the reservoirs and start over. So I avoided top feeding altogether when using the self watering bases. The good news is that my nutrients didn’t clog the wicks, so feeding from the reservoir was easy.

So my gut instinct is that I don’t think it would work as a temporary watering solution because a lot of the developed roots (from top feeding) would dry out too much, and you probably don’t have enough deep roots that reach the bottom third of the container. This system only provides moisture to the bottom third of the fiber pots.

Hope that helps….maybe someone else has a different experience with top feeding.
It helps a lot. Thank you. If the the system only provides water/nutes to the bottom third you must plant deep in the pot and top dress as the plant matures?

I'm getting ready to find out, since I just placed my Supafreak plants on them. The larger plant is already draining the reservoir faster than I would have liked, though it may be the bottom of the soil was pretty dry when I set it up.

Latest posts

Back