Godfather OG Quadline Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m very interested in learning how to use sugar leaves to evaluate maturity, so I have been cross checking the maturity of the trichomes on sugar leaves vs the maturity shown on the actual buds. The sugar leaves alone could be misleading since they show much more amber than the buds do. But I do see some clear Trichomes on the sugar leaves which matches the trichomes on the buds. I’m not seeing any cloudy or amber Trichomes on the buds yet….all trichomes are glassy. So I’m making the assumption that the least developed trichomes on the sugar leaves match the trichomes on the buds.

So….my theory that I’ll operate on is that I should harvest when there are no more clear trichomes on the sugar leaves. I’ll still do a weekly bud test to validate this theory, but id prefer to be able to do this testing without removing any buds.

I’m wide open to input from anyone who uses sugar leaves to check Trichomes…..

Here are my two Zkitzz plants with an 8 day flowering period and I’m in week 9. They are growing sooooo differently that you’d never assume they are the same strain. This strain is unique to the breeder (Ganja Farmer) and it’s a mix of Grape Ape and Zkittlez.

Zkitzz #1 (mature pistils, clear trichomes on bud, mixed trichomes with some clear ones on the sugar leaf (below)
View attachment 350275View attachment 350276

Zkitzz #2 (the tall one)
Immature pistils, immature bud trichomes, mixed sugar leaf Trichomes including clear
Supposed to be 8 week flowering strain. This is week 9 of flower.

View attachment 350277View attachment 350278
Please keep us up to date on proving your Hypothesis.

I’m very interested in learning how to use sugar leaves to evaluate maturity, so I have been cross checking the maturity of the trichomes on sugar leaves vs the maturity shown on the actual buds. The sugar leaves alone could be misleading since they show much more amber than the buds do. But I do see some clear Trichomes on the sugar leaves which matches the trichomes on the buds. I’m not seeing any cloudy or amber Trichomes on the buds yet….all trichomes are glassy. So I’m making the assumption that the least developed trichomes on the sugar leaves match the trichomes on the buds.

So….my theory that I’ll operate on is that I should harvest when there are no more clear trichomes on the sugar leaves. I’ll still do a weekly bud test to validate this theory, but id prefer to be able to do this testing without removing any buds.

I’m wide open to input from anyone who uses sugar leaves to check Trichomes…..

Here are my two Zkitzz plants with an 8 day flowering period and I’m in week 9. They are growing sooooo differently that you’d never assume they are the same strain. This strain is unique to the breeder (Ganja Farmer) and it’s a mix of Grape Ape and Zkittlez.

Zkitzz #1 (mature pistils, clear trichomes on bud, mixed trichomes with some clear ones on the sugar leaf (below)
View attachment 350275View attachment 350276

Zkitzz #2 (the tall one)
Immature pistils, immature bud trichomes, mixed sugar leaf Trichomes including clear
Supposed to be 8 week flowering strain. This is week 9 of flower.

View attachment 350277View attachment 350278
I guess @gmo uses a calyx to check his trichome ripeness when he sees the buds are close to being done, not a sugar leaf(my memory isn’t what it once was).

Post in thread 'gmo Grows Deathstar'
gmo Grows Deathstar

This thread likely has some good info.

I guess @gmo uses a calyx to check his trichome ripeness when he sees the buds are close to being done, not a sugar leaf(my memory isn’t what it once was).

Post in thread 'gmo Grows Deathstar'
gmo Grows Deathstar

This thread likely has some good info.
Thanks OldFogey! Another fantastic point, thanks for sharing. (And thanks to GMO for his original post). I’ll pull sugar leaves and a calyx for future comparisons. Unless I’m looking for a smoke sample, that’s a much better solution than removing an entire bud. I’ll read through GMO’s grow journal as I guarantee I’ll learn something.

I just pulled a calyx from Zkitzz#1 and the trichomes are still clear. I will test the calyx from both plants in another week based on how immature everything still looks. Testing the calyx really sounds like the best method before harvesting, but perhaps sugar leaves would be a good early indicator?

Well, I’m quickly losing interest in this Zkitzz strain. She seems like an average strain, but I’m not sure she’s worthy of tying up limited tent space for 4 months. I’m already excited to try my next grow….Durban Poison. That sounds like a worthwhile strain. I don’t think I’ve grown a Sativa before, so I’m looking forward to a more cerebral experience. I might not like it either….we will see. I also picked up some Godfather OG seeds since that has proven to be my favorite strain so far. I’m ordering through Seed Connect (MP sponsor) who had a good sale and offered what I thought was a fair price on Godfather OG 6-packs.

Zkitzz#1 appears ready to harvest except for the clear trichomes on the buds. He colas are heavy, and she can’t hold herself up with her long weak stems. Photos below. Zkitzz #2 is unable to be moved out of the tent for photos due to yo-yos holding up the Supercropped branches. If I hadn’t confirmed the clear trichomes with my microscope, I’d be harvesting right now. But she’s definitely not ready yet.
IMG_1093.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg
IMG_1142.jpeg

I've harvested with milky trics before, but never clear. It was a racy buzz that I liked, but I usually wait for at least a few amber. Just depends on the strain and what I want in a buzz.
Given enough time, they'll turn amber, even after harvesting.

I've harvested with milky trics before, but never clear. It was a racy buzz that I liked, but I usually wait for at least a few amber. Just depends on the strain and what I want in a buzz.
Given enough time, they'll turn amber, even after harvesting.
That's how I look at it. I like the Racey buzz. I like it mostly milky sprinkled with clear.

I learned a valuable lesson this week about the self-watering wicks in these AC Infinity feeders that I wanted to share for anyone considering these. I had a spare bottle of MaxiCrop Seaweed Extract WITH IRON, so I decided to add some to my reservoirs. Lo and Behold….I discovered that iron clogs the wicks in the self-watering feeders. My plants dried out (not too badly) once the wicking action stopped. I worry about the same problem happening with silica, so I haven’t used that with the AC Infinity bases.

Overall, these bases work great with GH Flora Series nutrients and seaweed extract. They don’t work with iron supplements.

Today I removed both plants from the tent (easier said than done), then flushed out all iron from reservoirs, cleaned the wicks, and filled with fresh nutrients.

Checked the Trichomes on Zkitzz #1 and she still has a lot of clear. I’m going to harvest once they’re all milky white with a few amber. I have a tendency to harvest too early, so I’m trying to be better.

IMG_1161.jpeg
IMG_1157.jpeg

Planning to try my hand at growing some peppers in a 2x2 grow tent. This is all new to me, so I hope 4 plants will fit in a 2x2. Seed choices include:

Small Thai chili hot peppers
Lunchbox pepper seeds
Shishito peppers
Small mini red pepper
Biquinho red peppers

IMG_1108.jpeg

Another week of progress as I’m now on week 11 since flip. This Zkitzz strain is supposed to be a 7-8 week strain….yeah, right. Zkitzz number 1 harvest window appears open, but I’m going to give her another week. Her sugar leaves have an occasional clear trichome as do the buds. Just starting to turn amber.

Zkitzz #1
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1191.jpeg

IMG_1202.jpeg

I'm with you on that. We'll see now that I'm indoors and will have better control over harvest dates.
Keep in mind that there's no law that says you have to harvest the whole plant at the same time. If you want to experiment, cut one bud off when they're all milky, wait a week or so, and cut another when you first see amber. Give it awhile 'til you see 30% amber, and leave a bud or two to turn 50% amber.
Same plant, but different buzzes. Lots of amber equals couch lock for me.

Keep in mind that there's no law that says you have to harvest the whole plant at the same time. If you want to experiment, cut one bud off when they're all milky, wait a week or so, and cut another when you first see amber. Give it awhile 'til you see 30% amber, and leave a bud or two to turn 50% amber.
Same plant, but different buzzes. Lots of amber equals couch lock for me.
Yep that is what I do for me the sweet spot is 20%

Good Day,
Today is the last day of week 11 of flower and only one of the two plants is ready. I sampled Zkitzz #1 and I’m pleased with it, so I’m harvesting the tops off of it today. I’ll leave the middle buds exposed to light for a few more days. Sugared leaves still showing some clear trichomes and the buds showing opaque trichomes. Almost no amber yet. I would say that there isn’t much smell, but I believe that the entire house smells from the harvest today. I miss having a drying tent.

IMG_1248.jpegIMG_1247.jpegIMG_1243.jpegIMG_1242.jpeg

I cut one Supercropped branch off Zkitzz #2 for sampling even though she’s still showing clear trichomes. It’s rumored to have some Big Bud in her lineage, and I see it in Zkitzz #2. Big buds in her. These two plants are soooo dissimilar for being the same strain.

IMG_1250.jpeg

Good Day,
Thanks for all the help and support on this grow. I thought I’d wrap up this grow log.

The last Zkitzz that I harvested, the tall one that grew to 56 inches after 4 weeks of veg under UV and IR lighting, ultimately produced a lot of seeds. I have no idea how this happened as I have always grown feminized seeds. I saw a lot of fox tailing, but no bananas (although I probably don’t know what I’m looking for). I am very glad that I didn’t blend the two Zkitzz plant harvests together in the drying tent so I can isolate the seeded buds. The lesson I learned is to keep harvests separated even on the same strains until everything is finished.

So…2 of the three plants that I grew produced a small amount of good buds. My failed attempt at quad lining these plants and my use of plant clips ultimately damaged too many branches. I’m no longer a fan of plant clips on major branches as I snapped a few (and some snapped as they outgrew the clip). I also didn’t keep the larf, so I’m not complaining. I learned a lot along the way. I also suspect the exposure to UV lighting may have stressed her too much,and caused her to produce seeds. I now want to sample a few more buds and see if this is in every bud, or just selective buds.

On the subject of UV and IR lighting, I’m not a fan. I’ll be removing the Mars Hydro UV/IR light bars from my tent. For starters, the plants stretched way too much under the IR lighting and had long, weak stems. Spacing between nodes was noticeably further apart than any other grow. My grow lights are old fashioned COBs that are without any added IR that I am aware of and they grow short bushy plants. I plan to return to that technique and maybe another attempt at quadlining depending on how OldFogey’s quad line progresses.

IMG_0135.jpeg

I was quite discouraged with the appearance of this plant and size of this plant….perhaps seeded cannabis looks different. The photo in my post above with the glove is the seeded stuff. Anyway, it won’t be wasted as I wouldn’t mind making a fresh batch of salve.

Next year note to self…..no IR or UV lighting!!! And only two plants in the 2x4 tent for best humidity management in my grow room.

My best to everyone….looking forward to following other grows here.

Good Day,
Thanks for all the help and support on this grow. I thought I’d wrap up this grow log.

The last Zkitzz that I harvested, the tall one that grew to 56 inches after 4 weeks of veg under UV and IR lighting, ultimately produced a lot of seeds. I have no idea how this happened as I have always grown feminized seeds. I saw a lot of fox tailing, but no bananas (although I probably don’t know what I’m looking for). I am very glad that I didn’t blend the two Zkitzz plant harvests together in the drying tent so I can isolate the seeded buds. The lesson I learned is to keep harvests separated even on the same strains until everything is finished.

So…2 of the three plants that I grew produced a small amount of good buds. My failed attempt at quad lining these plants and my use of plant clips ultimately damaged too many branches. I’m no longer a fan of plant clips on major branches as I snapped a few (and some snapped as they outgrew the clip). I also didn’t keep the larf, so I’m not complaining. I learned a lot along the way. I also suspect the exposure to UV lighting may have stressed her too much,and caused her to produce seeds. I now want to sample a few more buds and see if this is in every bud, or just selective buds.

On the subject of UV and IR lighting, I’m not a fan. I’ll be removing the Mars Hydro UV/IR light bars from my tent. For starters, the plants stretched way too much under the IR lighting and had long, weak stems. Spacing between nodes was noticeably further apart than any other grow. My grow lights are old fashioned COBs that are without any added IR that I am aware of and they grow short bushy plants. I plan to return to that technique and maybe another attempt at quadlining depending on how OldFogey’s quad line progresses.

View attachment 351353

I was quite discouraged with the appearance of this plant and size of this plant….perhaps seeded cannabis looks different. The photo in my post above with the glove is the seeded stuff. Anyway, it won’t be wasted as I wouldn’t mind making a fresh batch of salve.

Next year note to self…..no IR or UV lighting!!! And only two plants in the 2x4 tent for best humidity management in my grow room.

How long were you running the UV/IR lights? I had some T5’s that had UV along with the base 10000 kelvin light temp. I had good results with those(can’t find them anymore or I would get some new ones). I don’t know how much power the UV component had but I know they hurt my eyes😂. I found this on a MH EU site.
IMG_2336.png

Good Day,

View attachment 351353

It's a learning curve. Anyone that says they know it all doesn't, and anyone that says they can't learn new tricks is fooling themselves.

Latest posts

Back