Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never got a bonus in my entire career. Even after I invented a circuit that saved millions in one year. Oh, well... I'da blown it on... No I wouldn't. I'da got gold and silver.
Besides annual bonuses based on profit, which sometimes added more than another third to my annual salary, I got several bonuses based on savings my inventions produced.

As you might imagine the amount of my performance bonuses were not commensurate with the savings. IE, one solution that saved about $1.5 million annually, fetched me a princely bonus of $1,500 before taxes.
This is actually my second time around the block. The first one was an 8 year accidental experiment in abject failure.
No chilluns, though. 🌪️

This one's a keeper, though at our age, and as a former employer used to say all the time "I got plenty of lead in my pencil - I just ain't got nobody to write to!"

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was" (hat tip to Toby) 🦸‍♂️
George Burns suggested we that should learn to shoot pool with a rope if we plan to live long lives.

Maybe that and polish and refine our cunning linguistics.

As you might imagine the amount of my performance bonuses were not commensurate with the savings. IE, one solution that saved about $1.5 million annually, fetched me a princely bonus of $1,500 before taxes.
(*snork*) I got a Dinner Out voucher at Skitch Henderson's Bird And Bottle. But like I said, I am still in (moral) debt to them. I got paid just fine.

My salary is $72,800 plus benefits.
If I can get $70,000 offer on this job I'm going to interview for next week, I may take it. No traveling and being 10 mins from the job is worth losing a little money.

My salary is $72,800 plus benefits.
If I can get $70,000 offer on this job I'm going to interview for next week, I may take it. No traveling and being 10 mins from the job is worth losing a little money.
At this point in our lives, time and convenience far outweighs the financial benefits. I would certainly consider the small difference in salary of a vast difference in my life and my quality of life.

(*snork*) I got a Dinner Out voucher at Skitch Henderson's Bird And Bottle. But like I said, I am still in (moral) debt to them. I got paid just fine.
I never begrudged my employer the savings from my solutions either, because that is what they were paying me for, and they paid handsomely in addition to profit sharing, stock options, bonuses, and benefits.

I was paid enough that more was not a motivator, and in all honesty, my real payback was the personal smug satisfaction of watching my efforts and innovations pay off.

Remember I told you I was interviewing for a new job next week. Just found out I gotta 3 thousand dollar raise. This is getting more interesting.😳
Gave me the same thing last year about this time. Decision is getting harder and harder. I've got a tough decision to make.
Guess I'll see what happens in that interview.🤔
This new job I wouldn't have to travel and it's 10 minutes from my house. But money talks and bullshit walks. Hope they are ready to offer me the right amount of money. Other wise I'm not going anywhere.
I also will be getting my yearly bonus in December, so that is another thing I have to consider. Last year it was almost 5 grand and it's supposed to be more this year.🧐
Sounds great to me and maybe ,just maybe we will see you more at bingo ☝️ :rolleyes:

1693442437675.png

Good morning brothers and sisters!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

A rainy day here, starting at 60F and predicted to reach 67F.

Another squirrel is into my tomatoes, so I'm relocating them again. I trapped and relocated one yesterday and have one more to go.

I dropped another big garbage bag half full of balls off at the Humane Society. About as many as I could put in the bag and still manage it. The third big bag so far this year and the season is still going strong.

Good morning brothers and sisters!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

A rainy day here, starting at 60F and predicted to reach 67F.

Another squirrel is into my tomatoes, so I'm relocating them again. I trapped and relocated one yesterday and have one more to go.

I dropped another big garbage bag half full of balls off at the Humane Society. About as many as I could put in the bag and still manage it. The third big bag so far this year and the season is still going strong.
Good morning GW and you other morning partakers and non. We have a ton of wind this morning and rain bands too. Have to tie off my little GodFather OG plants with buds already big enough to break off I was not as prepared as I should have been.

only one more squirrel to go? That’s funny 😁

doggos will appreciate the free tennis balls tou bring. There is a basket of them at my vet that my maryjane loves to take one home when we go. 💕

Hope to hear from our florida friends soon. Hope everyone gets power back ASAP if they are out. This is a bad time of year for that. Y’all have a swell day. I’m gonna be catching up on things on my list of things to do that was overlapping my busy schedule with momma lately. 🥰

It depends on where. Much was to East Armpit USA, but some was to neat places here and abroad.
The last several years of my job had travel built in to it. My job was to go to companies that supplied stuff to mine, and make sure it wasn't somebody's brother-in-law's garage, or their union wasn't about to strike, or their manufacturing processes were not something like a garage sale.

The reason for my job: If you have two hundred-plus companies all over the world making parts (steel casings, wire/plugs, light bulbs, switches, memory boards, circuits, speakers, etc.) required to put personal computers together... and ONE company (the wire/plug company, for instinks) goes tits up for some reason that could easily have been spotted by a visit there...

...Guess how many computers you can make and sell? Zerio.

So I went to the Pacific Rim (Taipei, Japan, etc.) and Europe (Scotland, Germany, France, Holland, etc.) I got to fly First Class, and stayed in the best hotels.

And after a while, it got so fargin stale!! Actually asked my new partner sitting next to me on the plane: "Where are we going?"

He got pissed, thinking I was pulling the long bow on him. A month later, we were boarding a plane and he asked me, "Where are we going?" <-- Yes, I pointed out his reaction back when he was new.

Many mornings, I woke up with no fargin idea of where I was. Had to look at my itenerary to figure it out.

But I sure got to see the whole world (minus Antarctica). Wanna know the best place there is? America.

The last several years of my job had travel built in to it. My job was to go to companies that supplied stuff to mine, and make sure it wasn't somebody's brother-in-law's garage, or their union wasn't about to strike, or their manufacturing processes were not something like a garage sale.

The reason for my job: If you have two hundred-plus companies all over the world making parts (steel casings, wire/plugs, light bulbs, switches, memory boards, circuits, speakers, etc.) required to put personal computers together... and ONE company (the wire/plug company, for instinks) goes tits up for some reason that could easily have been spotted by a visit there...

...Guess how many computers you can make and sell? Zerio.

So I went to the Pacific Rim (Taipei, Japan, etc.) and Europe (Scotland, Germany, France, Holland, etc.) I got to fly First Class, and stayed in the best hotels.

And after a while, it got so fargin stale!! Actually asked my new partner sitting next to me on the plane: "Where are we going?"

He got pissed, thinking I was pulling the long bow on him. A month later, we were boarding a plane and he asked me, "Where are we going?" <-- Yes, I pointed out his reaction back when he was new.

Many mornings, I woke up with no fargin idea of where I was. Had to look at my itenerary to figure it out.

But I sure got to see the whole world (minus Antarctica). Wanna know the best place there is? America.
A late PS: Unlike a politician (or a SCOTUS god), I could not accept any favors that sumbody walking in off the street could not get. This led to a really funny story... in Chi-Town.

As I got off the plane, there was a liveried dude with a sign with my name on it waiting. This never happened before or since.

So the limo outside is waiting with the company boss in it. I get in and he introduces hisself. His name ended in a vowel. We drive along a while until we get to a large boat/ship at a pier. Walk onto the thing, and it immediately takes off from the pier, heading out into Lake Michigan Ocean. As we went inside, I noted at least four low-mileage, happy honeys in near-zero bikinis wandering around. (No, I never touched any of them. Looked, though.)

OK. The boat ran around long enough for a huge lunch, and then headed back. We were met at the pier with the Liveried Guy standing by the Deathmobile with a few papers in his hand. They were the receipts for the hotel I did not stay at, and an envelope gratuity for my help.

As soon as I could get to a phone, I called my boss in a semi-panic. I told him what had gone down and asked him what to do. He had never heard of such a thing, and we soon had three levels of management on the phone.

The final decision reached by everyone was that I would get the hell outa Chicago on the first flight home, and bring the receipts and "gratuity" envelope with me. BTW. I never opened it. Never found out how much was in it.

Everything got turned over to the Legal Dept. The company was shitlisted.

Last edited:
Yes ma’am, the power didn’t flicker once the whole time the storm was gone through here. I hit the dentist this morning for my routine cleaning and then I come back to put my generator stuff back up in the storage… we got real lucky here
Dang you are back from the dentist already? Was you appointment at 6:00 am ? Glad you did ok in the storm and y’all are ok.

Latest posts

Back