Advice Needed: Best Practices for Tree Trimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrydixon

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to tree care and have a couple of questions about trimming. I have a large oak tree in my yard that needs some attention.

What is the best time of year to trim it to ensure it stays healthy? Are there specific tools or techniques I should use to avoid damaging the tree?

Also, how can I identify branches that need to be removed versus those that should stay?

Any tips or resources you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to tree care and have a couple of questions about trimming. I have a large oak tree in my yard that needs some attention.

What is the best time of year to trim it to ensure it stays healthy? Are there specific tools or techniques I should use to avoid damaging the tree?

Also, how can I identify branches that need to be removed versus those that should stay?

Any tips or resources you can share would be greatly appreciated on tree trimming sunshine coast!
Thanks in advance for your help!

I know its best to trim early spring before it awakens from the winter slumber or in fall after the leaves fall. That is about the extent of my tree knowledge. Sorry sone one else may chime in. A lot of talented gardeners here

Guess it probably depends on the type of tree. I try not to trim maples in the spring 'cause they leek like crazy. I trim pines anytime they need it. Same for apple trees, but I'm possibly screwing up by doing that.

I trim up all my trees including fruit trees. Fruit trees you want to try and keep the middle clean where it gets plenty fresh air. My Bradford Pears I keep the outer limbs trimmed to keep them from breaking in the winter from snow and ice.
Plus they look better trimmed up nice
My Bradford Pears are huge. One of them is over 30yrs old.

Latest posts

Back