Hello! New to the Forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagwire2010

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! My friends call me Jagwire, and I used to have an indoor grow room back in the 90's. It was a 2 x 4 x 6 ft. area, lined with white poster board. For lighting, I used four - 4 ft. fluorescent shop lights (standing in each corner) and a 250-watt HPS (high-pressure sodium) bulb. For the growing medium, I used a mixture of peat moss / homemade compost (50%), perlite (25%) and vermiculite (25%), and used red solo cups w/ holes poked in the bottom for containers! o_O I utilized a hydroponic-style watering system (almost like a "continuous-feed" supply of water and nutrients - but done manually) and arranged the cups in 2" trays. The cups held a nice healthy root ball and were easy to move around (since each plant grew at a different rate). When they got about 2' tall, I would switch the lights to 12/12 to force flowering. Then it was just a matter of culling out the males, maintaining the females and pruning when necessary [to ensure adequate light reached the buds on the lower branches]. I had also learned a pretty effective cloning technique - using Root Tone growth hormones, 1" squares of upholstery foam, a mixture of water and Karo light syrup, and a 2" tray sitting on a heating pad (set on low) under two - 2" fluorescent lights (to form a cloning chamber). I had some wonderful results and harvested multiple times before circumstances changed and I had to shut things down. Ah, memories...

Then, fast-forward about 30 yrs. and Missouri becomes a recreational marijuana state! So, I recently bought a 3.5 grams jar of buds from a local dispensary and to my surprise, I found a couple of fully developed seeds in one of the buds! The seeds came from the "Gary Payton" strain (a hybrid cross between "the Y" and "Snowman"), so I decided to build a quick 1 x 2 x 2 ft. grow area, slapped a couple of LED strips in it [nice upgrade] ;), and germinated the seeds in a wet paper towel/Ziplock baggie in a dark place. Next, I rinsed out and cut down some 1/2-gallon milk jugs, put fish tank gravel in the bottom and filled them with regular potting soil. Using tweezers, I carefully placed the newly popped seeds into about 1" of soil and waited for them to come up. They are now about 1 week old, and I wanted to share some pics of the results thus far:

The biggest one is 2" tall, has very wide leaves, and is already starting to develop its 3rd node. I did have a couple of questions, though, about the seeds I found in my jar of Gary Payton buds... would these seeds be feminized? And, since it was purchased at a dispensary, how did the plant get fertilized and form seeds? Did they hermie, or was it an accidental pollination in the cultivator's grow room? Just curious... Anyways, I will provide updates/pics on a regular basis. ~ Jagwire

Attachments

• IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2580.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2584.JPG
    IMG_2584.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
@jagwire2010, welcome aboard. Like you, I'm sort of a newbe here myself.
If I had found a seed from somewhere I too would have been tempted to germinate that baby and see what happens.

In a few weeks you should be able to differenciate if the plant is a sativa or indica. Thats a starte at least. It will be a while longer before you know it it is a girl or boy.

I've never bought from a dispensary before so I'm not much help with those questions. It it is close to you, perhaps you go and visit the place and perhaps they can answer some of those questions.

It sounds like you know your way around growing and I wish you good luck with your new babies.

garybo

Hello, everyone! My friends call me Jagwire, and I used to have an indoor grow room back in the 90's. It was a 2 x 4 x 6 ft. area, lined with white poster board. For lighting, I used four - 4 ft. fluorescent shop lights (standing in each corner) and a 250-watt HPS (high-pressure sodium) bulb. For the growing medium, I used a mixture of peat moss / homemade compost (50%), perlite (25%) and vermiculite (25%), and used red solo cups w/ holes poked in the bottom for containers! o_O I utilized a hydroponic-style watering system (almost like a "continuous-feed" supply of water and nutrients - but done manually) and arranged the cups in 2" trays. The cups held a nice healthy root ball and were easy to move around (since each plant grew at a different rate). When they got about 2' tall, I would switch the lights to 12/12 to force flowering. Then it was just a matter of culling out the males, maintaining the females and pruning when necessary [to ensure adequate light reached the buds on the lower branches]. I had also learned a pretty effective cloning technique - using Root Tone growth hormones, 1" squares of upholstery foam, a mixture of water and Karo light syrup, and a 2" tray sitting on a heating pad (set on low) under two - 2" fluorescent lights (to form a cloning chamber). I had some wonderful results and harvested multiple times before circumstances changed and I had to shut things down. Ah, memories...

Then, fast-forward about 30 yrs. and Missouri becomes a recreational marijuana state! So, I recently bought a 3.5 grams jar of buds from a local dispensary and to my surprise, I found a couple of fully developed seeds in one of the buds! The seeds came from the "Gary Payton" strain (a hybrid cross between "the Y" and "Snowman"), so I decided to build a quick 1 x 2 x 2 ft. grow area, slapped a couple of LED strips in it [nice upgrade] ;), and germinated the seeds in a wet paper towel/Ziplock baggie in a dark place. Next, I rinsed out and cut down some 1/2-gallon milk jugs, put fish tank gravel in the bottom and filled them with regular potting soil. Using tweezers, I carefully placed the newly popped seeds into about 1" of soil and waited for them to come up. They are now about 1 week old, and I wanted to share some pics of the results thus far:

The biggest one is 2" tall, has very wide leaves, and is already starting to develop its 3rd node. I did have a couple of questions, though, about the seeds I found in my jar of Gary Payton buds... would these seeds be feminized? And, since it was purchased at a dispensary, how did the plant get fertilized and form seeds? Did they hermie, or was it an accidental pollination in the cultivator's grow room? Just curious... Anyways, I will provide updates/pics on a regular basis. ~ Jagwire
You may have a couple of feminized seeds there as some genetics will push so hard it will produce a seed or two and since it is a female it can only be a female. That’s my hope

Hello again, and thanks for welcoming me aboard! I am hoping they are feminized, too - would make it that much easier for me, lol :D So, my babies are growing like crazy! o_O Don't have time to talk right now, but I am uploading these pics:

Attachments

• IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2595.JPG
    IMG_2595.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I'm 65, and grew up in a small town. 7th grade was Junior High, and all my teachers wore potato sack dresses and horn-rimmed glasses. The men wore pencil-thin ties and white shirts.

A new teacher came to town. She was young and beautiful, with long blonde hair and a (relatively) short red dress. I was completely enamored of her and I 7th-grade-crushed on her hard.

She drove a Jaguar just like that one. I wrote a note professing my love to her and put it on her antenna. I often wonder if she liked it, kept, or even saw it. 'Cause...she never did marry me. Or even acknowledge me, for that matter! 😞

@Hippie420 you buying another car.
Almost bought that same car was pickled in a garage when I was at a yard sale looking for hidden treasures.
Lord, no. Got no place to put another one. Wanna buy a Rolls? Got less than 20K miles on it.

Every had to sync all them carbs on the older Jags?...What a damn nightmare. :D
I'm a retired mechanic. I stayed as far away from Euro cars as possible, given that technical information for them was pretty much nil when I was cutting my teeth on cars, whereas Japanese cars were more similar to domestic car makes, mechanically and electrically, seeing as we taught them how to manufacture, after WWII.
European cars were a whole 'nother beast, and each of THEM was 50 shades of different from the other as well.

But I've worked on enough of them (Jags and other Euro cars) to dislike them. Don't even ask me about evaporator cores and air suspensions in XJ8's, unless you've got a 12 pack of Yuengling laying close by. 🤪

Latest posts

Back