The Hash Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That flat head I posted this morning, I caught while bass fishing at the bottom of a spillway with an old school little George. Wild getting it in with 12 lb test. He was cleaned and eaten. That flathead meat, at least around here, is white, a little dryer and flakey. Avoid the fat lines and they taste great. Like you said though, I understand eating too many of them. We got a little private stream that the property owners give us access to, set about 2 dozen bank lines and oar up stream for a couple J's and split a 12 pack between 3 people, float back down and usually one trip is enough for a decent fish fry. Small blue gill and bullfrogs for bait.

What you using for the Blues in your area if I may ask?
Hard to beat an Appaloosa cat for catfish nuggets! That sounds like a good spot and a good time.😁

Flathead are funny ... We used to catch em at night on spinnerbaits haha. Really cool you got em on a little George. He was looking for a minnow. Haha.

Depending on what river or lake I'm fishing I use shad or skipjack herring. If I go South to fish I almost exclusively use skipjack. Very oily, and bloody. They don't pass it up often.

Last edited:
I have never had luck catfishing in a lake but have caught some monsters in the river.
Generally speaking, catfish grow to the size and availability of bait in a reservoir or river. I've been on some lakes and caught monsters. . . And some not so much. Same thing with rivers... I've just been lucky to fish rivers with good biodiversity and water quality. Lots of that in Alabama, where I used to live.

In my travels I've noticed lakes that have healthy populations of skipjack herring produce exceptional fish... I like to fish those river systems.

Not the end all be all. . . I still like to use live gizzard shad when possible. Id rather catch a striper anyway. 💯😁

Generally speaking, catfish grow to the size and availability of bait in a reservoir or river. I've been on some lakes and caught monsters. . . And some not so much. Same thing with rivers... I've just been lucky to fish rivers with good biodiversity and water quality. Lots of that in Alabama, where I used to live.

In my travels I've noticed lakes that have healthy populations of skipjack herring produce exceptional fish... I like to fish those river systems.

Not the end all be all. . . I still like to use live gizzard shad when possible. Id rather catch a striper anyway. 💯😁
I use to catch a shit load of catfish on Goldfish on my trout lines.
I like cut bait or shade when I'm night fishing. Crawfish work great during the day.

Looks like he has the new World Record
Screenshot_20230914-054750.png

I also grow in Promix. Which of their line do you suggest. Do you have to ph water ??
I use BX because it's what's available close to me... I prefer their HP...but all you have to do is cut the BX with perlite and you essentially have HP (it stands for high porosity).

Edit: I typically don't have to ph. I mix my nutes at a specific ratio that gets me down to the sweet spot... Occasionally I have to add a "bloop" of PH down to the rez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back