Roots growing but plant is not…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgutta420

Reaction score
I’m at where I’m at and I’ll be where I be
Basically the title. So this seedling sprouted 6/7 and the helmet was stuck on it. I misted it with water throughout the day until I felt confident it was ready to come off and gave it a gentle tug and it came right off although it did appear to be some type of membrane left behind in the shell. Fast forward to today, exactly 16 days later, this is what I have. It seems as if it’s not gonna make it but I’ve kept it chugging along and it is finally starting to show new growth. This strain does seem to grow a little slow compared to another I have going but the other one planted days later (since I thought this one wasn’t gonna make it) is very robust and growing quite nicely.

What’s perplexing is it’s shooting roots out like crazy, so much so that it’s about to be root bound but I’m getting no foliar growth and I’ve just never seen anything like this before. Anytime I’ve had a runt or a non grower the roots don’t grow either. Thinking about transplanting into a 32 ounce bk cup as I don’t want to waste an a tire pot for it and seeing if I can maybe get a few nugs. Hell I’d be fine with a few grams. Only thing I’m worried about is the fact that it’s an auto so if it doesn’t explode in growth soon I fear it’s all bad. Thoughts? Keep or pitch?

Attachments

• IMG_7301.jpeg
    IMG_7301.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7302.jpeg
    IMG_7302.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7303.jpeg
    IMG_7303.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 0
Unless you don't have more seeds I would pitch it. In my limited experience over the last 4 years. If it starts sickly it stays sickly always needing extra time and resources that just is not wort it. The weed may come out but it will have a poor yield. If you have others just plant something else. I have plants that were monsters at 3 weeks. They should not still look like a seedling at 3 weeks. These were taken on 4-15. I date my lables.
IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4081.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4082.jpeg
    IMG_4082.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Unless you don't have more seeds I would pitch it. In my limited experience over the last 4 years. If it starts sickly it stays sickly always needing extra time and resources that just is not wort it. The weed may come out but it will have a poor yield. If you have others just plant something else. I have plants that were monsters at 3 weeks. They should not still look like a seedling at 3 weeks. These were taken on 4-15. I date my lables. View attachment 358236View attachment 358238View attachment 358237
Nah yea I probably will just throw it in the corner of the tent and see what happens. Just weird that it has a very robust root system but it’s not growing leaves…I’ve never seen that in all my years growing any type of plant. Like you said I’m used to explosive growth. The ones I planted a day after this one are as big as yours.

Nah yea I probably will just throw it in the corner of the tent and see what happens. Just weird that it has a very robust root system but it’s not growing leaves…I’ve never seen that in all my years growing any type of plant. Like you said I’m used to explosive growth. The ones I planted a day after this one are as big as yours.
Yes most are if it has a virus it could spread to healthy plants I would ditch it.

Yes most are if it has a virus it could spread to healthy plants I would ditch it.
I honestly don’t think it’s a disease. I think it’s from the helmet getting stuck as I believe I was too hasty in removing it and pulled some of the membrane off. I also think these seeds have weak genetics and will probably not use this particular breeder again. These plants don’t have the same vigor I’m used to and seem to start really slow. I’ll just plant it outside to err on the side of caution.

Latest posts

Back