Please critique my 1st grow box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpmiller

Reaction score
I'm planning to use a Rubbermaid storage shed http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1777502 with inside dimensions of 5'11"H x 3"11"W x 2'1"D. I would only be growing 6 plants in soil in 5 gal containers.

I was thinking about using Sun Blaze T5 High Output Fluorescent lights, http://www.bestgrowlights.com/site/403863/product/FSSI960305, 8 tubes in a rack at 5000 lumes each, they come 6500 kelvins for vegitation and 3000 kelvins for blooming. That's 40,000 lumens for 2'x4' area.

I've also considered a HTGSupply Ultimate 400w HPS & MH Combo Grow Light, http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47981, the MH has 38,000 lumens for veggin and the HPS has 55,000 lumen for flowering.

I only want to buy one light setup. and I'm concerned about the heat from the HPS & MH Combo in a confined box. Is the fluorescent bulbs sufficient for flowering if using the 3000K bulbs? If I should go with the HPS & MH, will it get to hot inside and how do I expell the heat?

I'm going to line the walls with mylar for reflection. Some sort of fan to move the plants to promote strong stalks. A 4" inline fan for fresh air and possible 6" exhaust fan w/ charcol filter to control odor.

I prefer growing in a box in the dark depths of my basement to keep it somewhat confidential and contained.

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mike

I've also considered a HTGSupply Ultimate 400w HPS & MH Combo Grow Light,
I'm using this exact light setup with some nice results. If you vent as you say, you should be able to keep the temps within reason. This also depends on the surrounding ambient air temps. IF you can pull or push cooler air in near the bottom, and exhaust as you describe, you'll be ok. Here's a pic of our little bagseed girl thats been under the 400w HTGS unit. She's around day 25 flowering.

07-09-9.JPG

Jr..JPG

hmm i see you quite got things together to grow some, hmm 400 hps is perfect!!!!!!!!!! i have 600 its too hot, yes it will melt the plastic of that closet you showed us, but i see something missing, you do need two of inline duct 4inch fans, one go in to the closet then that vent hose from inline fan that go in, connect it to the light, it has hole for the vent to get on with the light to keep light cool, then other inline duct fan from other side that go out from in the closet, then u got a perfect grow in closet system use timer for water and light, keep fan running u can lock it and walk away for 5 months and check it hehe

Ebay has Grow tents excellent prices!!

how discrete is buying stuff like that off ebay i've always been a bit cautious

jarrett.simmons said:
hmm i see you quite got things together to grow some, hmm 400 hps is perfect!!!!!!!!!! i have 600 its too hot, yes it will melt the plastic of that closet you showed us, but i see something missing, you do need two of inline duct 4inch fans, one go in to the closet then that vent hose from inline fan that go in, connect it to the light, it has hole for the vent to get on with the light to keep light cool, then other inline duct fan from other side that go out from in the closet, then u got a perfect grow in closet system use timer for water and light, keep fan running u can lock it and walk away for 5 months and check it hehe

oh sht, i just bought a 600 watt and it's going in my closet. does it really burn the closet? shoulda gone for the 400?

how much heat does a 600w hps put out? how much with a 1000w? will a easycool 6 reflector w/ 6" blower/fan be enough to cool either in a confined space?

Thinking of going with the 1000w.

Latest posts

Back