Making fem seeds using colloidal silver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MariJan

Weed guru in training😜😜😜
Staff member
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am trying to self pollinate a maui waui using colloidal silver. I have been spraying her at dusk and dawn every day for 15 days. I had planned on doing it for 21 days but it has been raining so 15 is all she got. Has anyone done this before and can give suggestions or tips that may help me to be successful? I plan on sharing them as it was a difficult strain to track down. I harvested pollen from the 2 big honking males. I also have 3 clones that are rooted I believe they look like they are growing so I believe they rooted. They are in soil so hard to tell. The one in the cloning water was rooted I saw visible roots. Put plenty of Mykos in there. If the fems fail I will pollinate a clone. This is happening.

I did resume this evening. I was told by a few other people to keep spraying until I see balls. Good to know so I shall resume spraying. Rain stopped for the night.

Your doing something I've never done. So popcorn and a Doobie. I'm here to learn.

I have talked to several people that use this method. I was instructed to keep spraying her until I see her start to drop pollen. Even after I see balls. This way does work you just have to be persistent. This is the girl I am trying to self pollinate.
IMG_7073.jpeg
IMG_7074.jpeg
IMG_7075.jpeg
IMG_7072.jpeg

This may sound stupid if so forgive me I don’t grow outdoors.

Would it make sense to defoliate some space between the upper buds and lower buds? That way, in my mind, you won’t run the risk of spraying the part you want to harvest with the silver solution….which allows you to use low buds for seeds and it would make it easier to put a bag over it when it rains.

I read about this once and the spray only affects the branch calyx right?

What concentration of colloidal silver are you using. If I recall it needs to be a certain minimum level of ppm.

This may sound stupid if so forgive me I don’t grow outdoors.

Would it make sense to defoliate some space between the upper buds and lower buds? That way, in my mind, you won’t run the risk of spraying the part you want to harvest with the silver solution….which allows you to use low buds for seeds and it would make it easier to put a bag over it when it rains.

I read about this once and the spray only affects the branch calyx right?

What concentration of colloidal silver are you using. If I recall it needs to be a certain minimum level of ppm.
No once you spray the plant you cant smoke it. I am pretty sure its only going to give pollen I will have to collect then spread on another plant. The buds are no longer growing once I started to see balls. The balls are tiny and no pollen yet. Not 100% but from research thats what it us looking like. Good thing I have several MW clones.😂. If this fails I harvested male pollen. So there will be MW seeds but I am trying for fems.

Hmm, I sprayed a single lower branch with CS before to self a plant. I got pollen, but it didn't work on the buds. I did have buds on all the other branches, though. Pretty sure I harvested and smoked them as well. As far as I know it didn't hurt me or turn me blue : )

On colloidal silver, I started using STS (Silver Thiosulfate) a while back which is cheaper than CS, requires fewer applications and seems to be more reliable. There are tons of formulas for making and using it on the web, but a friend gave me the following which is what I've been using.

For stock solutions,
Dissolve 0.85 g silver nitrate powder into 50 ml of distilled water = Part A
Dissolve 0.80 g sodium thiosulfate powder into 50 ml of distilled water = Part B

These are your stock solutions - put them into amber glass bottles with a cap, cover with tinfoil and keep in the fridge. These will last a long time (at least 6 mo to 1 year) as stocks. They'll freeze in the fridge, which is fine. Take them out before you want to mix them so they thaw.

When you want to use them (not before!) thaw your stock solutions and mix 1 part silver nitrate (Part A) with 4 parts sodium thiosulfate (Part B). Put this into a spray bottle, take the plant out of the lights, spray the crap out of it (all over, nodes, flowers, stems everything), let it dry completely before it goes back under the light. Cover the sprayer in tinfoil and keep in the fridge with the stock solutions. This mixture will last 2 weeks to 1 month (which is why you don't mix everything together at once - the stock solutions last way longer if unmixed). Do this once more 5 days later. Boom! Reversed plant :) My amber spray bottle can hold about 25 ml, so I mix 5 ml Part A with 20 ml Part B and shake = 25 ml STS. Works like a charm! Obviously, you'll use up your Part B 4X faster than Part A - that's fine, because Part B is cheap and you can easily make more up when you need it to mix with Part A. Both chemicals are available on Amazon.

Only difference is I only spray the nodes, instead of the entire plant.

Hmm, I sprayed a single lower branch with CS before to self a plant. I got pollen, but it didn't work on the buds. I did have buds on all the other branches, though. Pretty sure I harvested and smoked them as well. As far as I know it didn't hurt me or turn me blue : )

On colloidal silver, I started using STS (Silver Thiosulfate) a while back which is cheaper than CS, requires fewer applications and seems to be more reliable. There are tons of formulas for making and using it on the web, but a friend gave me the following which is what I've been using.

Only difference is I only spray the nodes, instead of the entire plant.
This is something I've been interested in. I remember when they were just starting to do feminized seed. It's a nice option to save a girl ya really like. Thank you for posting that.

Thanks this is my first try. I should try to spray the nodes I have been spraying the bud sites. Which is most likely why they stopped growing. I will try the nodes. I was told to keep spraying until I see pollen dropping. If you stop using CS too soon you get empty pollen sacks.

Thanks this is my first try. I should try to spray the nodes I have been spraying the bud sites. Which is most likely why they stopped growing. I will try the nodes. I was told to keep spraying until I see pollen dropping. If you stop using CS too soon you get empty pollen sacks.
I did get empty pollen sacks using CS a few times. I didn't realize it was because I stopped spraying too soon.

I did get empty pollen sacks using CS a few times. I didn't realize it was because I stopped spraying too soon.
Yep I talked to Johnny Pot Seed a breeder and he uses CS and gave me plenty of tips. A few others also chimed in on OG.

Latest posts

Back