Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Well we fired our cannons until the barrels melted down, then we caught an alligator and fought another round............"

Good morning brothers and sisters! Hugz all around!

A dry but cloudy day here starting at 38F with a 36F dew point. Looks like a spotty, but general drying trend headed this way.

Alas, other than playing with ourselves, there was no joy at the Fernhill dog park yesterday while our cleaning ladies hosed out the homestead, most likely because of the rain and mud and all. After one loop, we swung by two more dog parks without scoring pups for Miss Layla to play with.

Ostensibly due to my clean living, everything about the dishwasher wheels was perfect except for the fit. While the exact replacement, the retaining pin dimensions were slightly undersized, but I was able to retain them long enough to set the washer back upright, using wraps of Scotch tape, so it worked out.

Not so on the window screens. I decided to put them off for a dry day.

Breakfast out with Grayfox and a friend at a new place that he dug up and ostensibly better luck in the park for Miss Layla.

1674138257232.png

Unca Walt's Useless Trivia: The reason cannons were made of brass rather than iron can be seen on all brass cannons: that big ring of metal at the mouth. That has a purpose -- It slows the deformation of the end of the barrel.

After about 500 rounds, the muzzle of a brass cannon will have deformed to an oval, and the cannonballs will no longer go in. <-- TINS

With an iron cannon, after a maximum of 300 rounds, the cannon will explode. An example was the famous "Swamp Angel" that was able to fire on Charleston. This beast fired a 200-lb projectile. It was deadly. It also exploded on the 36th shot.
1674138454863.png

When the Rebs got the Yanks at Ft. Sumter to surrender, they allowed the Yanks to fire a final salute before leaving. The iron cannon exploded -- killed two guys who otherwise were fine just surrendering.

1674138514875.png

Last edited:
Unca Walt's Useless Trivia: The reason cannons were made of brass rather than iron can be seen on all brass cannons: that big ring of metal at the mouth. That has a purpose -- It slows the deformation of the end of the barrel.

After about 500 rounds, the muzzle of a cannon will have deformed to an oval, and the cannonballs will no longer go in. <-- TINS

With an iron cannon, after a maximum of 300 rounds, the cannon will explode. An example was the famous "Swamp Angel" that was able to fire on Charleston. This beast fired a 200-lb projectile. It was deadly. It also exploded on the 36th shot.

When the Rebs got the Yanks at Ft. Sumter to surrender, they allowed the Yanks to fire a final salute before leaving. The iron cannon exploded -- killed two guys who otherwise were fine just surrendering.
interesting and a lesson how something starts out being nice ,but turns to shit quick....

I found this very interesting but not just as a Dallas fan but what he was talking about with memories of good times before the woke-ass crowd screwed everything thing up.

So the Cowboys captured their first playoff road win since 1993, in a 31-14 victory over Tom Brady’s Bucs. Immediately following, I realized how much the times have changed since then. Social media wasn’t around in 1993. Today, as so many posted their celebratory thoughts in honor of the win, those thoughts were met with negativity. I get that some of you hate the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones, I understand that you hate the NFL because they’re a bunch of over-paid cry babies, I completely sympathize with you refusing to watch a league that disrespects our flag, I know you can’t stand Dak, and I completely understand that you believe most fans are bandwagon-ers…
For me, it’s way more than any of that. It’s actually little to do with football. It’s about family. When the Cowboys win, it takes me back to an innocent time free from death, divorce, greed, and jealousy.
In the early 90’s, this is life in my innocent child mind. Although we were poor, when we gathered at Nanny’s (grandmother) house to watch the Cowboys play, I felt like the richest kid in the world. The Cowboys were winning big. They were winning so much that it became a family affair. Cousins, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, we’d all watch the cowboys beat whoever they were playing, then all us kids would go out and play sandlot football. At the time, it was just every day life while the cowboys won.
Three decades of losing has followed. Nanny is no longer here, and it’s been so long that I’ve seen some of my cousins, I might not even recognize them. For three decades, the cowboys haven’t done much winning.
When the cowboys win, it takes me back to a special time. I remember the smells, the feelings, how I would sweat outside while it being freezing cold. When the cowboys win, I remember pure innocent happiness. This is why I root for the cowboys. This is why many root for the cowboys. Leave your negativity out of it.
Go Cowboys!

Last edited:

After about 500 rounds, the muzzle of a brass cannon will have deformed to an oval, and the cannonballs will no longer go in. <-- TINS

View attachment 317828

View attachment 317829
Maybe they blew the cannon and themselves up on purpose.

View attachment 317828

View attachment 317829
Very interesting. I never thought about that.

I found this very interesting but not just as a Dallas fan but what he was talking about with memories of good times before the woke-ass crowd screwed everything thing up.

So the Cowboys captured their first playoff road win since 1993, in a 31-14 victory over Tom Brady’s Bucs. Immediately following, I realized how much the times have changed since then. Social media wasn’t around in 1993. Today, as so many posted their celebratory thoughts in honor of the win, those thoughts were met with negativity. I get that some of you hate the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones, I understand that you hate the NFL because they’re a bunch of over-paid cry babies, I completely sympathize with you refusing to watch a league that disrespects our flag, I know you can’t stand Dak, and I completely understand that you believe most fans are bandwagon-ers…
For me, it’s way more than any of that. It’s actually little to do with football. It’s about family. When the Cowboys win, it takes me back to an innocent time free from death, divorce, greed, and jealousy.
In the early 90’s, this is life in my innocent child mind. Although we were poor, when we gathered at Nanny’s (grandmother) house to watch the Cowboys play, I felt like the richest kid in the world. The Cowboys were winning big. They were winning so much that it became a family affair. Cousins, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, we’d all watch the cowboys beat whoever they were playing, then all us kids would go out and play sandlot football. At the time, it was just every day life while the cowboys won.
Three decades of losing has followed. Nanny is no longer here, and it’s been so long that I’ve seen some of my cousins, I might not even recognize them. For three decades, the cowboys haven’t done much winning.
When the cowboys win, it takes me back to a special time. I remember the smells, the feelings, how I would sweat outside while it being freezing cold. When the cowboys win, I remember pure innocent happiness. This is why I root for the cowboys. This is why many root for the cowboys. Leave your negativity out of it.
Go Cowboys!
Glad your Boys are having a good year.....I forgot how that feels ..... Broncos suck and a once well respected franchise has embarrassed itself.

Latest posts

Back