Humidity in Flower...Myth or Fact?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've yet to find anywhere where humidity has any true benefits in flower. However, it's not as dangerous as I thought it to be indoors.

@oldfogey8 mentioned Dew Point. Interesting angle to look at this. Not the way I always looked at it before. I stole some text on dew point and rh.

Dew point is an accurate measurement of the moisture content in the air. The higher the dew point is, the more moisture that is in the air. If you want to know whether (or weather, heh) it's comfortable or not to have a morning jog or go on a weekend hiking trip – stick with that term.

Relative humidity is a more confusing value as it depends on temperature and the pressure of the system in question.

Dew point and relative humidity are not the same, but they are closely related: the higher relative humidity is, the closer the dew point is to the current air temperature. In a particular case, when the air is maximally saturated with water (the relative humidity is 100%), the dew point is equal to the current temperature.

All I know is if you live in an area where you wake up and your plants are wet and dipping when blown off, your chances of Bud Rot is more likely to happen than if you live where they are dry If you do one grow 1st year you will know what to expect for the next.
Bud Rot sucks, ruins plants and spreads rapidly, I do not need a fancy chart for that.

I've yet to find anywhere where humidity has any true benefits in flower. However, it's not as dangerous as I thought it to be indoors.

@oldfogey8 mentioned Dew Point. Interesting angle to look at this. Not the way I always looked at it before. I stole some text on dew point and rh.

Dew point is an accurate measurement of the moisture content in the air. The higher the dew point is, the more moisture that is in the air. If you want to know whether (or weather, heh) it's comfortable or not to have a morning jog or go on a weekend hiking trip – stick with that term.

Relative humidity is a more confusing value as it depends on temperature and the pressure of the system in question.

Dew point and relative humidity are not the same, but they are closely related: the higher relative humidity is, the closer the dew point is to the current air temperature. In a particular case, when the air is maximally saturated with water (the relative humidity is 100%), the dew point is equal to the current temperature.
😂 I can’t figure out if that means what I thought it meant as far as dew point goes. I think it kinda does. If the air is maximally saturated, any extra moisture should condense out of the air(and onto leaves/buds), right? Or am I mis-thinking? This sounds like a question for @Tattered Old Graywolf… Maybe he will chime in. He knows stuff like this(and probably has a section on it on his website)…

I asked Grey Wolf in a DM. It sounds like my gut was kinda right but maybe due to a different reason. This was his reply:

“That is a good assumption.

They are of course closely related. As you know, % RH changes with temperature but as you approach dew point, which is 100% RH, vapor pressure falls, and evaporation is at a standstill.

Such a condition would be conducive and supportive of PM and Botrytis.”

I gather from this that a lot of air movement, maybe with air slightly drier than what is in the tent helps evaporate any moisture the plant gives up thru transpiration. Maybe. I like challenging stuff like this. Good for the brain.

I asked Grey Wolf in a DM. It sounds like my gut was kinda right but maybe due to a different reason. This was his reply:

They are of course closely related. As you know, % RH changes with temperature but as you approach dew point, which is 100% RH, vapor pressure falls, and evaporation is at a standstill.

I gather from this that a lot of air movement, maybe with air slightly drier than what is in the tent helps evaporate any moisture the plant gives up thru transpiration. Maybe. I like challenging stuff like this. Good for the brain.
Hmmmmm, 🤔

Thanks for forwarding this.

I’d be interested in your findings. As I said, that is pretty much my gut feeling on it. I am bringing my plants into my garage at night now. The garage is drier and has less of a temp drop overnight and so far the plants are dry in the morning. Before I started doing that, the plants would be saturated with dew in the morning. So far no PM or Bud Rot. I hope it works because it really is a pain in the a$$…😂
I do it in winter if it going to get cold at night. I bring the autos on the porch. The photos should be done.

But you live in that Dry heat county, try living in the wet humid country.
Bud Rot is real and it will bite ya azz and kill really fast if not stopped.
I too blow dry my plants after a good shake in the early morn.
I treat for PM which will also bloom quickly over a damp plant where I am.
Bi weekly with a product that raises the PH on the leaves
If you put potassium silicate in your soil you will drastically reduce the chances of getting PM

If you put potassium silicate in your soil you will drastically reduce the chances of getting PM
Okay, ya got some info to back that up.

I've used silica before. Yeah it builds some nice plants but if the budrot comes ain't no silica gonna slow it down.

I'm assuming you use this stuff and have not encountered bud rot yet...key word..lol Curious to see more info. Thanks for popping in.

Okay, ya got some info to back that up.

I've used silica before. Yeah it builds some nice plants but if the budrot comes ain't no silica gonna slow it down.

I'm assuming you use this stuff and have not encountered bud rot yet...key word..lol Curious to see more info. Thanks for popping in.
If it was that easy everyone would have heard about it

I guess it can depend on how dense your buds are and how well your air flow is.. because if you have super dense buds with 2wks to go yet. High humidity can cause bud rot issues. is this always the case, of course not...

However, I can see a big big difference between my buds and my buddy Digger who is anal about his grows, and, it shows in his product. which he insists on curing in jars for a few months before sharing it out... some of the nicest formed, tightest buds in perfection status.. dude can grow.

Me.. humidity is same as when I veg.... I'm poor and keep things simple and living in the swamp it's 55% humidity inside my house.... ha.

Ok goin to chime in here ..

Texas Kids test ...One room 30% humidity the other 75-80% humidity ...
Guess which one out preformed , thats right the one with the higher humidity ...

Just my 02

Peace

High ya'll!

Portland, OR, is the PM and Botrytis capital of the world due to our short dry season and high relative humidity, currently at 99% and an annual average of 69.7%.

We fight it indoors with dehumidifiers and keeping every leaf shaking with air circulation. Even at 100% humidity/dew point, air circulation will remove condensation and help the plant respire.

Outdoors if you don't harvest before the rains start here, you are pretty much screwed, which is why most of the outdoor cannabis grown in Oregon is in the Green Triangle in Southern Oregon.

Especially a problem with large tight buds. IE: No issues with my last outdoor Trainwreck, but my Northern Lights suffered from Botrytis.

Latest posts

Back