Getting hot in here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenmaster2369

Reaction score
Hello need a little advice from you all....Simple closet grow 600w hps all is going fine except the heat here is getting up there causing my room to reach 85-90 degrees at times I do not have the light cooled in any way Im taking all suggestions AC? More fans? ley me know what has worked for you guys I really didnt want to drop 150-200 dollars on a can fan or similar A big thanks right up front for all help

Thanks Zen

You need a cool tube in there, £52 in the UK and just add the current bulb you have.

A good temp range for growing is between 72-76 degrees, dropping to 60 ish during the night cycle.

Improving your ventilation to remove the total volume of air within your space in 5 mins or less, may help to dropping your temps.

keep an eye on your humidity also,

hitting anywhere between 40 to 60 per cent relative humidity is good.

you are just gonna have to drop the doe and get a can fan or similar. You need to have an adaqute exhaust sytem in place to vent all that hot stale air

Hey Zenmaster,

Presently I'm using a standard 400 watt metal halide. About a week ago I was using a 400 watt Hortilux Blue and it was too hot in the closet. I replaced that lamp with the standard MH that I'm using now, and the temperature went down. However, at the same time I made the switch the outdoor heatwave ended too. So, it might have been the lamp and /or the weather. However, I still believe that the one lamp put out more heat than the other lamp. So, perhaps if you replaced the 600 watt lamp that you're using with another 600 watt lamp that puts out less heat it would cool down a bit. Just an idea, I don't know for sure.

Are your plants showing signs of heat stress? Do your plants seem bothered by the 85-90 degree temps? The experts around here say that 85 degrees is the maximum temperature for the closet. Mine was between 85-95 degrees and the plants showed signs of heat stress. However, now mine gets as high as 88 degrees with no apparent ill effect.

I hope this helps,

Alistair

i got an idea for you that im about to try myself.
i got a 110 cfm computer fan with a 12v 1000ma AC/DC adapter im going to duct tape to the plastic near to top and shoot some air out and let new air come in thru a gap or hole on the bottom..
should solve my problem and maybe yours too.
good luck!

Check Oit The Cool Tube I Posted In The Diy Part Of The Forum,use Some Hurrican Glass Shade From Hobbylobby ($5) Hook A 250 Cfm Duct Fan From Home Depot ($30) And Some 6'' Flexible Ducting To That And Duct The Hot Air Out.im About Do Do It In A Couple Weeks To Two 600 Watt Hps's

I got the fan hooked up now, gonna have it run with the lights at 12/12.
so far its got my temp down about 4* F.
im sure tomarow will tell me a better story when it runs the full cycle.
however i may need to interduce a quality air intake i sense, cause the plastic was all sucked in after running the new exhaust for a few...
maybe my roommate will let me drill a hole into his room....? :D

ishnish said:
I got the fan hooked up now, gonna have it run with the lights at 12/12.
so far its got my temp down about 4* F.
im sure tomarow will tell me a better story when it runs the full cycle.
however i may need to interduce a quality air intake i sense, cause the plastic was all sucked in after running the new exhaust for a few...
maybe my roommate will let me drill a hole into his room....? :D

You need to be able to bring in fresh air as fast as you are removing it, preferably from somewhere where the air is somewhat "fresh" like outside or under the house. Under the house works good because the air is always cooler there than outside. If you notice the plastic surrounding your grow area sucking in you need a bigger intake.
Also, I would run your fan 24/7 so that the airflow is constant in your grow area. Your plants need fresh air even if the light isn't on.
What kind of fan did you get?

edit- wow, I thought I was responding to the original poster there lol
Zenmaster, I would get a 6 inch inline fan and have a good amount of intake air coming from outside. I've got a similar situation with a 600 and 400 going during the day and a 6" fan keeps it pretty cool even venting thru a carbon filter. Today it's 96 here and 79.5 in my flowering tent:hubba:

zenmaster2369 said:
Hello need a little advice from you all....Simple closet grow 600w hpss I really didnt want to drop 150-200 dollars on a can fan or similar A big thanks right up front for all help

Thanks Zen
sorry man, but if you got a 600 your gonna have to dump some money on a good exhaust system, or air cooled hood or you will continue to have problems.

Would have to agree. You should be trying to draw the air out not circulate it anymore. JMO. Good luck.. Take care and smoke good.

Latest posts

Back