RE: Best CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) Production

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

howardstern

Hey,

Another tip from my experience: why pay for expensive CO2 machines for more lush indoor growth when you can create it very cheaply:

1.) Yeast, either freeze-dried (stored in freezer after opening) or refridgerated yeast.

+

2.) Sugar

+

3.) Very warm, almost hot water

= CO2 production.

Mixed in plastic jug or some other container, and place near your plants.
Be careful about amounts of yeast used as it will bubble up, and can bubble over making a mess in your cabinet, closet, etc.

Be sure to change the mixture daily, because if let to sit for a day or two it will start to smell like vomit because of the yeast that is now dead.

Its good to give it a shake now and then to stir up the sugar that settles on the bottom. This is good for a plant or two. I noticed a difference in my box. If it wasnt enclosed then i dont think it would have worked.

Thats actually a more costly method of producing co2 if you need to produce it in any volume. Not to mention a lot of wasted time for very little gain considering you need to boost the CO2 ppm to 1500 to make it worth it otherwise just good ventilation will suffice.

Tater said:
Thats actually a more costly method of producing co2 if you need to produce it in any volume. Not to mention a lot of wasted time for very little gain considering you need to boost the CO2 ppm to 1500 to make it worth it otherwise just good ventilation will suffice.

I beg to differ. It's not expensive sugar + yeast. And I see the difference in the lush green growth. Put the container in the closet and you can
close the closet and the room becomes filled with CO2.

howardstern said:
I beg to differ. It's not expensive sugar + yeast. And I see the difference in the lush green growth. Put the container in the closet and you can
close the closet and the room becomes filled with CO2.
.. in order for co2 to be beneficial and to be utilized to the fullest, certain environmental factors/conditions 'must' be in place.
Tempertures 'must' be within a range beneficial to the plants utilization of it. (mid 90'sF, I believe)
ppm or the amount od co2 'must' be produced AND dispensed in a consistant and proper amount, in coordination with the environment.
since co2 is heavier than air, it 'must' be emitted/dispersed above the plants, or it lies on the floor and is useless.

Just because you are observing "lush green growth" doesn't neccessarily determine that your yeast concoction is benefiting your plants.. Many growers here have lush green growth by simply circulating fresh air.

Hick said:
.. in order for co2 to be beneficial and to be utilized to the fullest, certain environmental factors/conditions 'must' be in place.
Tempertures 'must' be within a range beneficial to the plants utilization of it. (mid 90'sF, I believe)
ppm or the amount od co2 'must' be produced AND dispensed in a consistant and proper amount, in coordination with the environment.
since co2 is heavier than air, it 'must' be emitted/dispersed above the plants, or it lies on the floor and is useless.

Just because you are observing "lush green growth" doesn't neccessarily determine that your yeast concoction is benefiting your plants.. Many growers here have lush green growth by simply circulating fresh air.

I'm telling you guys: it works. I have seen the slower growth without it, and the unbelievable growth with it. Place a small fan to circulate the air and the heavy CO2 will reach the plants. Try it, you will like it.

How much yeast?
how much sugar?
how much water?
Fresh central a/c ok for co2?
my temps are staying at 80 or under, no good for co2 consumption?
If i set jug on top of light, it will drift right down over plants, right?

Take up home brewing and then your just using something that's otherwise wasted. But I believe fresh air will suffice for me.

halzey68 said:
How much yeast?
how much sugar?
how much water?

You will have to adjust your ratios according to trial and error. I have these small plastic sugar containers that I like to use (holding 1kg), and I started with one tablespoon yeast and a few tablespoons sugar (the food for the yeast). But now I like to use as much as possible so that I have strong CO2 for at least 24 hours.

When you mix with warm/hot water you will hear the yeast come alive and bubbles forming if you put your ear to the opening. I like these containers because they help to reduce the bubble-over because it is tapered at top. As the mixture starts to bubble if I use too much it will "vomit" over onto the floor (so use something to collect any potential bubble-over so that it doesn't mess up your floor - like a plant pot dish). But if I don't use too much then the tapered container will "break" the bubble over bubbles and the bubbles will pop, releasing the CO2 and the "vomit" will go back down.

It depends on the container you use, how high, how wide, how much room. I usually now pour about 5-6 tablespoons of yeast, and at least that much, probably 1.5-2 times the amount of sugar in relation to the yeast. This produces the CO2 for the plants, and the plants produce oxygen for me in my bedroom. Of course I circulate the air and once per day as I change the mixture I open up everything to refresh and air out the closet.

halzey68 said:
How much yeast?
how much sugar?
how much water?

Save your money, halzey...Hick and Runbyhemp are correct. This is not just speculation on their part. The amount of CO2 produced this way is far too little to make a difference. CO2 has to be utilized at higher temps than you are running and far greater concentrations than you can get with yeast and sugar. Exchanging the air in your room 2-3 times a minute will give your plants all the CO2 they need.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Save your money, halzey...Hick and Runbyhemp are correct. This is not just speculation on their part. The amount of CO2 produced this way is far too little to make a difference. CO2 has to be utilized at higher temps than you are running and far greater concentrations than you can get with yeast and sugar. Exchanging the air in your room 2-3 times a minute will give your plants all the CO2 they need.

...not everyone can have a 24 hour fan running changing the air in a dedicated room. My closet I have to unplug and close when I leave the house, and there is no fan during the day. At night when the light is on in the 12/12 period I also don't use fan unless it gets really hot because here it is really cold in winter and no need. The Metal Halide creates enough heat to raise the temp in my room at least a few degrees celsius, and the closet is the right temp. about 70-85 degrees farenheit in winter. AND, I don't need to change the air with tubes and hoses, etc. At a moment's notice I can unplug everything, close up the closet, and no one (guest) is any the wiser.

If you think that this method doesn't produce a saturating amount of CO2, then just try breathing the stuff by sticking your nose in it and taking a few whiffs.

I have been growing for 12 years, so don't be so quick to discount this info.

and its not cheaper than a tank and regulator if you are going to attempt to create enough CO2 to be beneficial. Do the math or search these forums as its been done for you a million times.

If it works so well what are the PPM's in your closet. Argue all you want it won't change the facts. Welcome to the forum and I wouldn't go shoving your 12 years growing experience in peoples faces because in reality it doesn't mean to much if you have been uninformed that long (on this topic you seem to be I'm not saying that will be true for all topics and we welcome and appreciate your opinion but you to have to respect ours). I've been running for 27 years give or take the couple it took me to learn how to walk but that dosent make me an olympic runner. Just because someone's been doing something for a long time doesn't make them any good at it. Ask my forman who got fired and I replaced him. He had been working in my trade for 36 years and I flew past him.

Oh and hazley really are you going to balance a liquid yeast bath on top of your light? Really? I would take that one back to the drawing board.

Tater said:
and its not cheaper than a tank and regulator if you are going to attempt to create enough CO2 to be beneficial. Do the math or search these forums as its been done for you a million times.

If it works so well what are the PPM's in your closet. Argue all you want it won't change the facts. Welcome to the forum and I wouldn't go shoving your 12 years growing experience in peoples faces because in reality it doesn't mean to much if you have been uninformed that long (on this topic you seem to be I'm not saying that will be true for all topics and we welcome and appreciate your opinion but you to have to respect ours). I've been running for 27 years give or take the couple it took me to learn how to walk but that dosent make me an olympic runner. Just because someone's been doing something for a long time doesn't make them any good at it. Ask my forman who got fired and I replaced him. He had been working in my trade for 36 years and I flew past him.

...If anyone is being argumentative (and hostile) it is you. Chill out, man. Go have a smoke and you'll feel better.

howardstern said:
...not everyone can have a 24 hour fan running changing the air in a dedicated room. My closet I have to unplug and close when I leave the house, and there is no fan during the day. At night when the light is on in the 12/12 period I also don't use fan unless it gets really hot because here it is really cold in winter and no need. The Metal Halide creates enough heat to raise the temp in my room at least a few degrees celsius, and the closet is the right temp. about 70-85 degrees farenheit in winter. AND, I don't need to change the air with tubes and hoses, etc. At a moment's notice I can unplug everything, close up the closet, and no one (guest) is any the wiser.

If you think that this method doesn't produce a saturating amount of CO2, then just try breathing the stuff by sticking your nose in it and taking a few whiffs.

I have been growing for 12 years, so don't be so quick to discount this info.

I'm sorry, you can insist all you want, but you are just not correct. You need to run at least 1500 ppm to be effective. The temps need to be in the 90s for CO2 to be effective. CO2 is heavier than air and will settle on the floor and just sit there if not circulated by a fan. These are facts. Anecdotal stories are not evidence.

the top of my hood is flat and wide . my hoods are very stable, so if i wanted to , i could. But my temps dont ever get high enough for it to be beneficial. I do have fans and a/c running 24 hours a day, pretty much. So i think the air exchanged in the rooms is more than adequate. I planned for the inreased electric bill when i built my room and was pretty close to what i expected for the increase. a/c, 2 x 1000w, 9 fans(2 intake,3 exhaust,4 circulation), 4 aireaters,1 fish tank heater, humidifier, 2 x 2' T-5's, and it cost about $120 a month extra. Thanks for all the input.

youtube how to make co2 and there is a kid who makes one for his fish tank real easy simple to follow but im still going to buy the real setup just got to save up some more doe:D

I'm gonna go ahead and keep doing the exact same thing that I have been doing before....no additional CO2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back