VEGGING: 24/0 vs 18/6 ... which do you prefer, and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_chow

Reaction score
hello everyone...

...no flaming in this thread!!! ...everyone is entitled to their opinions and really in the end, it's their plants so they can grow however they feel like they want to grow.

hick and i got to talking about this in another thread, and it's always been a "hot" topic of discussion amongst growers and in the forums

...science lends to the 24/0 lighting regimen b/c cannabis is indeed a c3 plant. but everyone has their preference and reasoning...

personally, i like an 18/6 lighting regimen during veg. reasoning:

>my experience is a larger rootmass w/ 18/6 than 24/0
>heat was an issue
>electricity costs
>"copying" nature (c3-fixation isn't the only "reaction" in the plant, imo)

so what do you run and why? ...remember, no wrong answers; just a FRIENDLY conversation amongst growers

peace,

mr_chow

happydaze said:
lemme save u some time... here ya go...I posted this earlier this month.

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=712204#post712204

-Happydaze

nice post, but i'd like to get people opinions in a little more structured and in-depth format. not just throwing out 24/0 or 18/6. ...that does no one any good.

if anyone has objective or subjective information that you want to add to the debate, let us know...

peace,

mr_chow

Heat is the only reason to have a dark period in veg,

the MJ plant simply does not need a dark period.

dman1234 said:
the MJ plant simply does not need a dark period.

correct, it is a c3 plant. ...it doesn't need to "rest" like c4 plants.

has anyone done any comparative testing??

ive done both and 24/0=bigger plants at the end of veg and a little more of a bill....18/6....gave great sized plants at the end of veg(not as big but still very nice and less of a bill...im my opinion the bit of extra growth is worth the extra bill...if you have no worries(PG&E--LAW) 12/12 all the way..why not get the most you can...also shortens veg time...thats been my experience atleast...

I used to veg 18/6, I too, felt subjectively that the plant needed it's rest. I dug my heals in but finally Hick got through to me that 24 hours was better. I won't go back to 18/6. I grow in smart pots so the root mass was the same. They have less stretch, a lot less stretch. They are happy, I was the one that needed the rest, not them. I was happily surprised to be wrong. Ha. That's my story and i am sticking to it. Good luck Mr Chow.

buddogmutt said:
ive done both and 24/0=bigger plants at the end of veg and a little more of a bill....18/6....gave great sized plants at the end of veg(not as big but still very nice and less of a bill...im my opinion the bit of extra growth is worth the extra bill...if you have no worries(PG&E--LAW) 12/12 all the way..why not get the most you can...also shortens veg time...thats been my experience atleast...

but if you have to veg longer on 18/6 the elec bill would be a wash IMO.

definitly...i mentaly refrenced my current grow when i answered..3wk veg on 24/0...

id rather have 1 bill for 12/12 then 2 for 18/6...lol

24-0 on veg for me as well.....under HO T5's. Only reason I wld have a lights out period in veg wld be if I was crazy enough to grow in the hot Summers again.....and that ain't happening.:)

I believe there is merit to the argument for a 'rest period' in cases of heat, and where hid's are used. "IMO" the ballast benefits from the cooling period more than the plants.
Also in cases from seed. 6-8 hours of darkness during certain period/stage of veg', "allegedly" encourages a higher ratio of females from seed.

Someone mentioned that they believed they achieved a larger rootmass on 18/6. But if roots grow in the dark, why do we root clones under 24/0. Why wouldn't, don't they root in the dark?..

Hick said:
I believe there is merit to the argument for a 'rest period' in cases of heat,

This is the part I dont understand, You would think that after 18 hours your heat must be stable and not rising.

Growdude said:
This is the part I dont understand, You would think that after 18 hours your heat must be stable and not rising.

external environmental changes (i.e. the afternoon texas heat) can cause rising temps throughout lights-on period.

...i used to light my babies a 5pm and turn them off at 11am. ...you would see the temps start out and stay high through 11pm or so, then they would dip down. around 8-9am, they would start rising again and would stay on that path until i turned my lights off.

this was in my cab in the garage in the middle of winter (or what they call "winter" in texas)

peace,

mr_chow

Latest posts

Back