Trichome production

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've got a question to ask. First off, I've grown strains before that didn't have many trichomes on the little bud leaves, but the final product was stony. Now I have three plants all of the same strain, yet only one of them has a thick coating of trichomes on the bud leaves; the other two plants of the same strain have very few trichs. These three plants are just now beginning week 6 of flowering. The one that has loads of trichs is the one that had a serious over-fertilization problem. Why is it that this one plant has lots of trichs, yet the other two of the same strain barely have any at all?

This bugs me, because it makes me feel as though I did something wrong with the other two plants of the same strain. Maybe the one with lots of trichs received a lot more phosphorus than the other two? I don't know that it received more P than the others; I'm just guessing. That's my guess, because it was over-fertilized and probably received more P than the others.

I also have another plant in the closet of a different strain than the other three and it doesn't have many trichs either. The three plants that I spoke of are Aurora Polaris plants, and the fourth one is a Mazar Afgani.

Could anyone answer my question concerning trichome production?

Thanks,

Alistair

did ya flus properly? and use some "co2" productions during bloom season??

I only flushed the one Polaris in an effort to detoxify it, and that was almost a month ago. The last time I fertilized it was August 19, and I still don't believe it needs fertilizing. Well, even though most of the sun leaves show signs of over-fertlization, and they look rather ugly, the buds have made a tremendous improvement. At first the buds were small and airy, not much substance to them, but yesterday I noticed that they had filled out, smell really nice, and have many trichomes on the bud leaves that are plainly visible without magnification.

The other two Polaris plants have very few trichomes on the bud leaves, and these plants are healthy.

This bugs me a bit. Why would one plant do its own thing while the other two make no waves? Is phosphorus responsible for making more trichs, or is there another possible explanation?

Thanks Krazeydays. Do you have one plant that's developing more trichs than the others of the same strain? If so, is it possible that you did something different to it? Let us know how it turns out.

I have two different strains "unknown" bag seed. All look great but trichomes developing a little diff have watered and fed all same. have 2 or 3 weeks left
thanks to mp.

this site is great!!!

Probably just a little slower then the others.Give it a week or so and it will most likely catch up.

have only been member two day's but researching on this page for a while.
still alot to learn but this is the place hands down.
currently 5 plants 3 weeks left all healthy and there mine what a great feeling!!!

Yeah time4tokin20s, the others might catch up. I'm assuming the three above mentioned plants are of the same strain, because the people that I ordered them from said that they are of the same strain. However it is possible that the seed bank people made a mistake, because originally I had two Mazar Afganis (One male) and three Aurora Polaris plants, but the two Afganis didn't look the same as each other. Well, it is possible that they also screwed up on the Polaris plants, but these three do look the same.

Nobody has yet answered my question concerning amount phosphorus and trichome production. Would the amount of P make a visible difference in how many trichs there are?

i dont know about that, what are you feeding them???? i do know that i have gone to bed with no trichs showing to the naked eye and the next morning the plant will be covered in trichs........

Well gettingray, I hope the other plants will do the same. However, I've grown stuff before that had very few trichs on the bud leaves, but the buzz was good anyway.

What have I been feeding them? At different times I've given them Indonesian bat guano (High P), Iguana Juice Bloom, Budswel, and Sweet Leaf. Speaking of Sweet Leaf, I cut off a few bud leaves in order to look at the trichs, then I ate the leaves. They tasted so good!Q!

Krazeydays, yes, they're all yours, and in a few weeks you'll be happy you did it. It's a nice feeling, huh? Just keep the humidity relatively low so they don't get mold. Both your plants and my plants have about three weeks to go. This is when they're most susceptible to bud rot. So, be careful and good luck.

My relative humidity is around 40-50% is this reasonable? I tried using dehumidafier but gets to hot from air exchange guess i need to vent it somehow.

According to the video that some of us saw (I don't have the link now), the humidity should be below 50% for late flowering. The RH in my closet is about 50% right now. It is hard to control in my simple setup; I place a bowl of water in for more humidity, and then remove it when I want less humidity, but that only works so well. So far, I see no mold. Also, don't allow your buds lean up against each other. If they lean up against each other (Especially the big colas) air cannot circulate, and moisture gets trapped between them causing bud rot. Fortunately, for my last grow only one big cola had bud rot, and it was because three colas were leaning up against it blocking the air.

thanks for that bit of info my plants are touching each other plus side of tent.
will have to move when lights come on.

Alistair Young said:
Hello everyone, I've got a question to ask. First off, I've grown strains before that didn't have many trichomes on the little bud leaves, but the final product was stony. Now I have three plants all of the same strain, yet only one of them has a thick coating of trichomes on the bud leaves; the other two plants of the same strain have very few trichs. These three plants are just now beginning week 6 of flowering. The one that has loads of trichs is the one that had a serious over-fertilization problem. Why is it that this one plant has lots of trichs, yet the other two of the same strain barely have any at all?

This bugs me, because it makes me feel as though I did something wrong with the other two plants of the same strain. Maybe the one with lots of trichs received a lot more phosphorus than the other two? I don't know that it received more P than the others; I'm just guessing. That's my guess, because it was over-fertilized and probably received more P than the others.

I also have another plant in the closet of a different strain than the other three and it doesn't have many trichs either. The three plants that I spoke of are Aurora Polaris plants, and the fourth one is a Mazar Afgani.

Could anyone answer my question concerning trichome production?

Thanks,

Alistair

Tricombs are formed for a few reasons, bug defense is one, uv protection from sun is another and my favorite when the room or outside drops down in tempeture the tricombes increase to hold in the moisture...Now, were your plants from seed or clones?

If from seed it would mean that even though you have all the same strains on paper you will never have an identical genetic from one seed to the next: ie you and you siblings are different looking than each other all though from the same parents, right? same thing!

I hope you can get your room in the dark cycle down to about 16 to 20 degrees with 50% or under humidity . The lower the humidity the more the plant will produce tricombs to hold in and stop the evaporation of moisture through the leaves, then you will see some sick tricomb production at that temp.

Hope this helps, peace

I meant to say slow down the evaporation of moisture not STP the evaporation of moisture that would be imposible..

Really its most likely jsut a matter of what pheno type you got out of the strain ive just lost a few plants that are very high trich producers and while the last grow i did with them all plants were well coated this time around i have 1 of 3 that isnt as covered as the others it also has shown more signs of being a sativa leaning of the hybrid while the others are very indica. ive also noticed that therew as a significant difference in visible trichs when ive grown full sativas but the stone was much more intense, then with the (near) full indicas.

if it is from seed all pheno's will be different, If you recieved 3 clones of same mother this would be wierd, you would have to look at what thing you did to boast tricombs, then bottle and sell it! lol.. But if i had to guess before he tells us if its clones or from seed, I would say seed and I would also say to him to clone that pheno that likes your room so much and use that pheno...

Tricombs on an indica plant are bigger and fater and there are less of them than on Sativas for a couple of reasons, one good one is that indicas are a compact Bud so the glands only really form on the outside of that compac bud,

with a Sativa (my favorite) the bud is more open and the glands are smaller and massivley group in wicked clusters everywere due the the growth patern of the Sativa..

More of the tissue is exsposed to the elements Light, humidity there for more glands are needed to protect all the exposes matter..

This is acyually a convo that I had this summer in BC at Maijaunna mans house from POT TV

Since I only harvest by the look of the glands and am always looking at them with a 30x little hand held microscope with a light.

I would strongly suggest if you all havent had the oportunity to do that , you should definetly pick one up they are only 2o to 30$ it is very cool...

I hope this helps and if it doesn't, sorry

Peace

wow Dubbaman you have alot of posts, dude over 2500 and almost as many thank you,s.. killer man...peace

Latest posts

Back