Supplement MH Lighting With Which CFL'S???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

adammiller34

Does anyone know what color spectrum i should be aiming for if i am running a 400W MH bulb and want to supplement with CFL'S?? I'm pretty sure MH's give off blue light around 4000K... so do i want more blue light during veg or add some red/yellow in there??? i know the kelvin scale so if its easier to just write a number thats fine i will understand... Ohh i just transplanted them last night, they were grown from seed, if that makes a diff... Thanks guys/gals...

Anyone with knowledge of the benefits to doing this that can add something too would be awesome!!! Thanks again

i know i ramble so i made use of the bold option so you can see the basics of my question... lol less than 50%... hmmm i have to do something about that but I'm working on it...

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: yeppp thats meee

adammiller34 said:
Does anyone know what color spectrum i should be aiming for if i am running a 400W MH bulb and want to supplement with CFL'S?? I'm pretty sure MH's give off blue light around 4000K... so do i want more blue light during veg or add some red/yellow in there??? i know the kelvin scale so if its easier to just write a number thats fine i will understand... Ohh i just transplanted them last night, they were grown from seed, if that makes a diff... Thanks guys/gals...

Anyone with knowledge of the benefits to doing this that can add something too would be awesome!!! Thanks again

i know i ramble so i made use of the bold option so you can see the basics of my question... lol less than 50%... hmmm i have to do something about that but I'm working on it...

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: yeppp thats meee

I was told the Daylight CFL. The ones I have are 6700K.

ok ill keep that in mind CB... I'll wait for a few more posts just to be sure, but i think you are right... thats what i was thinking myself but i could be wrong... good looks on the quick post my man...

I used to run my 400MH in my veg box, but switched to CFL's myself...

I am running 5 - 150W Daylight CFL's in there now pumping out 14,250 lumens, and the plants look just dandy... and only 210W of power is being used by bulbs that will last 3x as long as a HID bulb....

Thats Good Stuff Man... I Thought About Going The High Output Cfl Route But I Just Didnt Know If Adding Some Cfl's To The Mh Would Help And Which Ones I Would Want To Add... Like Around 6500k Or Stay In The Blue Range??? I Have No Idea!!!

That crazy vancouver guy said:
I used to run my 400MH in my veg box, but switched to CFL's myself...

I am running 5 - 150W Daylight CFL's in there now pumping out 14,250 lumens, and the plants look just dandy... and only 210W of power is being used by bulbs that will last 3x as long as a HID bulb....

:yeahthat:

LOL--I used to run my 400MH in my veg box, but switched to a T5 myself...

I am running a 4' 4 tube T5 HO in there now pumping out 20000 lumens, and the plants look just dandy... and only 216W of power is being used by tubes that will last 3x as long as a HID bulb....

IMO, CFLs or fluoro tubes can give you as good or better vegetative growth than a MH at half the heat and wattage. I have a 400W MH that I do not use anymore.

Thanks Alot Man I Hear That... Does Anyone Know Which Kind Of Cfl's Would Be Better For Supplementing The Mh Bulb Though??

Ok Great Thanks Alot Man... So The Daylight Cfl's Which Im Guessing Are In The Range Of 50-6500k Would Supplement The MH Light During Veg State??

Alright Good Looks Cowboy... Just Looking For Some Affirmation... Anyone Else With Info Is Welcome To Post Theyre Imo's They Are Much Appeciated The More The Better!!!

like THG and I both said... we both USED to veg with a 400W MH, but now we BOTH use CFL's/Flourescents to veg with instead...

for the amount of energy/power used, Flourescents are the way to go... why use the 400W at all?

Just Because I Spent 300$$ On A New Digi Lumatek And I Dont Feel Like Letting It Go To Waste... Same Goes For The Flo's I Just Wanted To Kno Which I Should Supplement With... I Definitely Hear You Though... Was Going To Go With The T5's But Decided To Go With Hid Instead... Im Probably Going To Phase It Out For The Next Grow And Try One Room With Flo's And One With Hid And See How It Goes... This Is My First Grow Ontop Of It So That Should Give You A Little Bit Of An Idea Why... Thanks For The Info Tho... What Kind Of Cfl Setup Do U Have???

Yeah You've Got Me Convinced I Didn't Know It Could Be That Compact LOL CFL's Not Compact Musta Been Pretty High... But Anyways Next Grow Im Definitely Going The CFL Route... Wish I Had Known It Was That Much Easier And Definitely More Cost Effective A Month Ago... Definitely Learning So It's All Good!!! Just Curious How Many Plants Are You Successfully Vegging Under The Setup You Have At 14,000 Lumens If I Remember Correctly???

Ohh And Where Did You Get That CFL Setup Or Is It A DIY?? Looks Pretty Cool... Also What Kind Of Bulbs Are You Using On That?? Thanks For The Info Guys...

my veg box is approx 15sq ft... the number obviously depends on what sized pots I have in there, but ...at one point I had 6 one gal, 4 1/2 gal, and around 80 or so small pots 4", if not less, of rooted clones vegging in there.

I think I can have like 25 one gal, 36 1/2 gal, ...and I don't even know how many small pots I can squeeze in there, cuz I can put them sitting around the rims of the big pots too :hubba: <---I mean either or ( one gal's, OR 1/2 gal's, OR...)

I'm limited in the number of pots I have, and I also have the small veg box that can hold like 40 or so in there, too...

what the hell am I talking about?... high...:cool:

Latest posts

Back