raised beds and watering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sMACkaddict

Señor Member
Reaction score
Hey all, been out of the game for a while and finally (almost) in a place where I can get back to it!

The almost is due to only being able to grow outside for now, it is a fun adventure however.

I'm wondering about watering with in ground plants. I have 3 plants that are about 3ft tall and they never seem to NEED water. They don't get droopy, the soil doesnt dry out much past a certain point. It hasn't even rained that frequently. I do have mulch on the bed, but the area under the plants is clear of mulch to help the soil dry out more.

I have watered them a couple times even though they didn't really seem to need it and it didn't seem to affect them much either way.

I am probably just overthinking, but im worrying they are not growing as much as they could be...

Attachments

• PXL_20240708_143302695.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240708_143302695.MP.jpg
    10.9 MB · Views: 0
Those look great my friend. Mother Nature has its way. You most likely have great soil and the roots are deep and getting moisture.
Your plants will tell you when they need water and food.
Keep it simple,,keep an eye on new growth, because that is what tells you what is going on,and let them do their thing .

Last edited:
Hey all, been out of the game for a while and finally (almost) in a place where I can get back to it!

The almost is due to only being able to grow outside for now, it is a fun adventure however.

I'm wondering about watering with in ground plants. I have 3 plants that are about 3ft tall and they never seem to NEED water. They don't get droopy, the soil doesnt dry out much past a certain point. It hasn't even rained that frequently. I do have mulch on the bed, but the area under the plants is clear of mulch to help the soil dry out more.

I have watered them a couple times even though they didn't really seem to need it and it didn't seem to affect them much either way.

I am probably just overthinking, but im worrying they are not growing as much as they could be...
They look great to me. Nice and bushy

I would love to see an updated picture. How did you get them so uniform and bushy? Really cool plants.

Click on the three little dots with the down arrow next to the word report and a box will pop up. Just don't click on the word report 😁
Then again I'm an Admin so I may have things in that box that your don't. I know you have edit. So just clear everything out and put whoops.😋

Screenshot_20240818-064108~2.png

Last edited:
I would love to see an updated picture. How did you get them so uniform and bushy? Really cool plants.

its kinda gross out today, as soon as the sun returns, I will take new pics! Flowering is just kicking off. As for how they got that shape.... I guess its from fimming them, im not really sure. I think I fimmed them twice, once early on and then again once the multiple tops had grown out

Alrighty! Almost forgot what I said I would do and as I was putting up a greenhouse thing, i remembered! So we have pre and post greenhouse pics.

I have PTSD from caterpillars wrecking a previous harvest, so im trying to do whatever i can to prevent that hence greenhouse thing.

These are ice cream runtz clones btw, not sure if i mentioned that...

Attachments

• PXL_20240820_152747899.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240820_152747899.MP.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240820_152734310.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240820_152734310.MP.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240820_162025680.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240820_162025680.MP.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Alrighty! Almost forgot what I said I would do and as I was putting up a greenhouse thing, i remembered! So we have pre and post greenhouse pics.

I have PTSD from caterpillars wrecking a previous harvest, so im trying to do whatever i can to prevent that hence greenhouse thing.

Caterpillars are the worst. I have been battling them suckers this year. Lucky miner were ready so I just pulled them. Everything else git sprayed with BT My fat ass was on a ladder trying to reach the 8 ftr

Your plants look great. I would not believe that your greenhouse will keep any bugs at bay. I have seen the same or different bugs on my outside vs. greenhouse plants. Bugs will get in. I would definately pre-treat if you can before flower starts really taking off. For me the greenhouse acts more of a protector and starter for seedling plants. Keeping the heat down during the day is the biggest issue with the greenhouse. You may be ok at this time of the year in vermont. I am just north of nyc.

Caterpillars are the worst. I have been battling them suckers this year. Lucky miner were ready so I just pulled them. Everything else git sprayed with BT My fat ass was on a ladder trying to reach the 8 ftr
hahaha yeah ive been going at em with BT mixed with insecticide soap but they keep showing up... they do seem to like sunning themselves in the morning, right out in the open, so it makes murdering them that much easier... but i worry about the ones im not seeing

Your plants look great. I would not believe that your greenhouse will keep any bugs at bay. I have seen the same or different bugs on my outside vs. greenhouse plants. Bugs will get in. I would definately pre-treat if you can before flower starts really taking off. For me the greenhouse acts more of a protector and starter for seedling plants. Keeping the heat down during the day is the biggest issue with the greenhouse. You may be ok at this time of the year in vermont. I am just north of nyc.
haha yeah I kinda realized that after getting the greenhouse... I put a tarp under the green house and duct taped it to the inside of the walls hoping to create a semi-sealed floor and I am waiting on some of those mesh magnetic screen door net things to put over the 2 door entrances because yeah, I cannot keep those closed, it gets way too hot in there. I'm also very nervous about bud rot, so i am hoping having better control over when the plants get wet will mitigate that problem.

hahaha yeah ive been going at em with BT mixed with insecticide soap but they keep showing up... they do seem to like sunning themselves in the morning, right out in the open, so it makes murdering them that much easier... but i worry about the ones im not seeing

haha yeah I kinda realized that after getting the greenhouse... I put a tarp under the green house and duct taped it to the inside of the walls hoping to create a semi-sealed floor and I am waiting on some of those mesh magnetic screen door net things to put over the 2 door entrances because yeah, I cannot keep those closed, it gets way too hot in there. I'm also very nervous about bud rot, so i am hoping having better control over when the plants get wet will mitigate that problem.
I pick then off and toss them to the cats if they are the big honking green ones. Not so much the little ones with stripes. They get smashed. My cats love the green ones. The bite them and green ooze squirts out.

Latest posts

Back