I can't stop mainlining (Manifold first timer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.5 went by so fast I missed it.
I'm down to 4.7 today, do I try to adjust that to 6.0 (130 times less acidic)
all in one go? Isn't rapid pH swing baaaad, I'll just change again tonight, 30L, no big wup.
What's your technique for topping up, Gooch?
It depends on what i have if i have a decent ec/ppm then i add water my tap water is around a ph7 so if i have to ph it down i simply squirt it right into my res and stir it till i get a reading i looking for, but it seems like a good idea to add the ph down to some water and then add the water but i have 25 gallons so i just keep squirting it in

Tidbit:
My res has been getter cooler, basement, northern climate, it was dipping to 60
I put in a aquarium thermometer and probably inadequate for 30L tank.
Those panda paper sheets I use to cover things make a HUGE difference to water temp.
I flipped them over as aquarium heater was sloooooow and it shot up to 20 from 18 in a few hours under the LED.
The cheapest and most effective temp control and I can't automate it.
I put my res on 4x4 wood to keep it off the floor, and i added am adjustable heater so i can set it from 62 to 80

I put my res on 4x4 wood to keep it off the floor, and i added am adjustable heater so i can set it from 62 to 80

Wood is a great insulator but it'll get wet. I use thick open cell rubber mats, pricey but insulate with air and great on slippery cement. I use them in the summer too, I read on a nute container NOT to store the container on concrete floors.

I'm popping in to see how things are going pappy, looks like you have plenty of help.

I can't say enough about the place, Kraven. It was the first forum I tried and I struck gold.

I have that one long legged manifolded / scrogged hybrid under my larger LED
It almost fills the pattern 2 x 4 at 26" in flower.
I was going to use 3 x 5gal buckets under that LED :rofl:
I wish I knew what I was doing

I drift down (too)

my guess is the water, I use distilled. (no buffers at all)
you guys use RO or tap or distilled or ?? (NOT tap I bet)

regardless, drift up or down, it don't really matter. just know which way your system wants to go and start at the other end.

Like a car that's out of alignment... pulls right or left, don't matter, steer to the other side of the lane and keep it between the lines (~5.4 - 6.2)

PS
Plants look AWESOME :icon_smile: !!
:48:

Yup, tap, city water, about 7.8 90 ppm
overnight with a bubbler, it DROPS to 6.7
seems to me it should go up with the oxygen

what does your res go up to after
14th pm 4.7 down 2L, added 6.7

If the WHOLE res isn't getting up to 6.1 you will need to add more pH+

On the 13th you wanted to adjust your whole res back up to 6.1

From that list you can see:
your plant is in 5.5 or below for almost 3 days and only on the high side of the scale (6.1 - 5.9) for a day or less

-----

I've done my setup for about 2 years now so I know I need to add almost 2ml of straight pH+ to my res (3-4gal) to get from 5.5 up to 6.1
I also know at the peak of flower I may need to do this every 14-18 hours as letting it go 24 lets it swing too far (5.4 or lower)

----------

edit:
how did we get from ~1000ppm to 1280 just from topping off with 90ppm tap water (which is incredibly good) and adjusting back to 6.1?

Here ya go, Joe, if you have the time and inclination, thanks!

what does your res go up to after Quote:

==========> I take the pH reading but don't look at ppm, no reading
After I top up with water pH 6.7, I measured ppm of 990
I must have made a gaff here because I show the same pH after the 2L of 6.7
(in other words, it didn't go up, it didn't move, but I may have goofed)

If the WHOLE res isn't getting up to 6.1 you will need to add more pH+

==========> I think it is NOW. HP mentionned the recirculating and I had been measuring too soon I think. (damn, I did it again... said "I think" twice!, damn pot)

On the 13th you wanted to adjust your whole res back up to 6.1

==========> yes, I did, but it barely budged, only .2 to 5.6 (but I was worried about too rapid a pH swing...)

From that list you can see:
your plant is in 5.5 or below for almost 3 days and only on the high side of the scale (6.1 - 5.9) for a day or less

==========> ya, I read too much, I saw 5.7 - 5.9 was optimum for flower somewhere, I'm going in a 6.2 this reset this time, I'll be trying to slow it's decent.

-----

I've done my setup for about 2 years now so I know I need to add almost 2ml of straight pH+ to my res (3-4gal) to get from 5.5 up to 6.1

==========> When you call the res 3-4 gals is that JUST the res size, how much liquid total?
I'm using 3x as much pH up

I also know at the peak of flower I may need to do this every 14-18 hours as letting it go 24 lets it swing too far (5.4 or lower)

==========> Jeeeze, I let it get to 4.5 but I was starting at 5.9 maybe less, 6.2 this time, I check them at least every 12 and seems no harm in taming that fall with drops straight from the pH up, okay, this should be a better week

----------

edit:
how did we get from ~1000ppm to 1280 just from topping off with 90ppm tap water (which is incredibly good) and adjusting back to 6.1?

==========>hahaha, I panicked at the 4.4 and did a complete change, prepped at 6.1 1280 which I thought was rich then added the 2L of 6.7 to arrive at 6.2 1180 (an hour of recirculating later)

==========> 6.2 down to 5.5 is .7 range a .1 "allowable" drop per day?
how conveeeeeeeenient
I'll correct ph to 6.1 tomorrow, next day 6.0, next day 5.9, until 5.5 = nute change

I use a 5 gallon tote and am lucky to have 3.75 gal of liquid

j420c if you want something better to use then ph+ look for potassium sulfate, the plant uses it and it will raise the ph. Win Win

that is an ingredient in some/many additives especially the finishing/ripening/bloom ones.

I've noticed GH's (liquid) KoolBloom will raise your pH
but it will raise your PPM waaaay more than pH+

but that has way more then just straight up potassium

That 1280 should be ok. It may be a little hot, depending on what plants you have. Satori doesn't like a lot of nutrients, and Blueberry Punch would be happy to drink from the bottle I think :eek:

The rapid swings are typical of smaller rez size. The less solution you have, the faster the plants can suck up the nutrients or water and cause the pH to swing. :)

RDWC 2 x 5gal + res (1 bucket has no plant)

12th am 6.1 1040
12th pm 5.9 1050
13th am 5.4 down 2L, added 6.8
13th am 5.6 920
13th pm 4.9 1030
14th am 4.7 down 1L, ...
14th pm 4.7 990
15th am 4.4
reset to 6.1 but thought 1280 ppm too hot, had 2L room left to add 6.7 water, circ'd
15th noon 6.2 1180
15th pm (missed)
16th am 6.1 added 2L 6.7
for 6.1 1120

My gaffs were not letting water circulate enough and measuring ppms before topping up.
Two things I don't think I would have figured out, THANKS!

That 1280 should be ok. It may be a little hot, depending on what plants you have. Satori doesn't like a lot of nutrients, and Blueberry Punch would be happy to drink from the bottle I think :eek:

The rapid swings are typical of smaller rez size. The less solution you have, the faster the plants can suck up the nutrients or water and cause the pH to swing. :)

Something called Dark Angel, not much of a selection but at least they all popped.

I'm thinking (actually, really really hoping) I may have messed up with my colour code clips. I bet this plant is a haze and has a 12 week flower. There is NO hint of red hairs on her, today is beginning of week 7

View attachment 100_0048.jpg

View attachment 100_0047.jpg

12th am 6.1 1040
12th pm 5.9 1050
13th am 5.4 down 2L, added 6.8
13th am 5.6 920
13th pm 4.9 1030
14th am 4.7 down 1L, ...
14th pm 4.7 990
15th am 4.4
================ reset to 6.1 1280 ppm, added 2L 6.7
15th noon 6.2 1180
15th pm (missed)
16th am 6.1 added 2L 6.7
16th am 6.1 1120
16th pm 5.9 added 1L 6.7
16th pm 5.9 1090
17th am 5.4 added 2L 7.4
17th noon 5.4 !!! added 4 mL ph UP directly
17th aft 5.8

ramp down is fast, almost half a point a day,
5 mL per day pH UP to slow it down is my guess

What you will find is, the pH will swing slowly right after a new rez change with high ppm solution. But then each time you adjust back up, it will drift down faster and faster. That is because the nutrients are being depleted each time the pH swings across the spectrum. After about the 3rd adjustment, depending on the plant and how much nutrients it eats, you will have depleted the nutrients. You can let it go for another day or two if you need to before changing the rez but if the plant is a heavier eater, allowing it to go a couple more days on depleted solution can possibly show some hunger issues like deficiencies.

When you get down to the last of it, and the buds are good and fat, and are just ripening, you can let them go several days on depleted solution as they will have enough nutrients within the body of the plant to carry it to harvest. However, if you have a deeper plant that has many lower branches with immature buds, you can continue to feed them up to the first harvest

What you will find is, the pH will swing slowly right after a new rez change with high ppm solution. But then each time you adjust back up, it will drift down faster and faster. That is because the nutrients are being depleted each time the pH swings across the spectrum. After about the 3rd adjustment, depending on the plant and how much nutrients it eats, you will have depleted the nutrients. You can let it go for another day or two if you need to before changing the rez but if the plant is a heavier eater, allowing it to go a couple more days on depleted solution can possibly show some hunger issues like deficiencies.

When you get down to the last of it, and the buds are good and fat, and are just ripening, you can let them go several days on depleted solution as they will have enough nutrients within the body of the plant to carry it to harvest. However, if you have a deeper plant that has many lower branches with immature buds, you can continue to feed them up to the first harvest

nicely explained;
with all those huge fans, I can probably stop now :D

how old are your t5 bulbs? plants stretch to search for blue, if they are stretching under t5 maybe your bulbs are bad

Latest posts

Back