DIY tumbler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like one with 120,90,70 screens please.
Making swapping screens super easy is a plus.
😆
Dabpress makes one that has worked well for me for years but its a little smallish.
Only runs about a qp at a time so think big.

Oh yes, I have looked at those articles of yours, pure gold. I intend to try several methods, just starting with a tumbler as I have thought about a tumbler since the overgrow days. It Might not be the most efficient method, but it is a device I just turn on, and let it run until done. This will not be near as fancy as the grinning reaper style, a bit down and dirty. I have everything on hand except the silk screen. (Now that I have the motor)

I still like the idea of the metal screens, but this first "tumbler style" will just use typical silk screen. Will probably have 3 different barrels, with different screen sizes. Round wood ends, closable opening on one end, spaced apart by threaded rods. Be very cheap and likely not the most durable method, just some experimenting on the cheap.

Doing a "grinning reaper" style will be a more expensive build, affordable,but I will need more "not on hand" parts. I will have more questions then. It should also be a FAR more durable tool when finished.

Before either of these methods are put into practice, I've collected material for a dry ice in 5gallon bucket method.

Since getting this Dabpress, I have been pressing flower. I want to press kief, and that had led to sift experimentation.

Bubba

Last edited:
I planned to build a tumbler, just never did. I was planning to use Formica faced oriented strand board used for counter tops to build the ends and tie them together with treaded rods. You could also laminate Formica on 3/4" plywood for a smooth work surface.

The threaded rods capture the material and carry it further up the drum before it drops, where with just a barrel, the material can just lie on the bottom while the drum turns underneath.

I was planning a gear drive from Grainger's and actually published an article with links but notice that the links are broken again and need to get my webmaster to help me fix them again.

I like to use stainless mesh for the first tumble with plant material, because it stands up better, and silk screen for kief refinement.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/15-diy-equipment/15-19-tumbling/

One other stark difference in the two, Grinning reaper is for extra high grade kief, for use as is, while this tumbler won't make the highest grades, for pressing the "rougher" method will suffice

Bubba

Technique plays a big role in quality and yield is determined by how soon excessive plant material debris starts fracture off and contaminate the kief. With either a tumbler or the Grinning Reaper, that is typically around 50% of available yield, so I usually cut off at that point and extract the rest with solvent.

I have made kieff all the ways(I think?)and the tumbler will do it as clean or dirty as any other.
Really depends on the material,screen size,speed and time in.
Have you ever tried pressing the processed weed once tumbling is done? Wondering what presses out. With most of the trichomes missing, probably not much or low quality?

Bubba

Have you ever tried pressing the processed weed once tumbling is done? Wondering what presses out. With most of the trichomes missing, probably not much or low quality?

Bubba
Not worth it ime.
I used to blast it with solvents back in my youth but quit doing anything with those a long time ago.

Your innovation is epic. Love the repurposing of the broken palm sander. My wife busts my balls when I hold on to semi-broken(but in my mind possibly useful for something in the future) stuff but is always surprised when I wind up using said piece of junk. Though I must admit, I have a lot of crap that I likely will never use or maybe never find when I could use it.😂

Your innovation is epic. Love the repurposing of the broken palm sander. My wife busts my balls when I hold on to semi-broken(but in my mind possibly useful for something in the future) stuff but is always surprised when I wind up using said piece of junk. Though I must admit, I have a lot of crap that I likely will never use or maybe never find when I could use it.😂
My wife has learned to respect my junk pile over time.........saves us fairly regularly.

some of these are pricey…..

IMG_6992.png

https://growlightcentral.com/collections/dry-sift-tumblers-for-kief-extraction

Not worth it ime.
I used to blast it with solvents back in my youth but quit doing anything with those a long time ago.
Thats sort of what I figured. I suppose if things were such that you had a large quantity regularly and some super nice commercial extraction equipment, might be worth it. I don't have either of those two things!

One of the old tumbler building articles I read years ago, builder said he tried some of the tumbled weed, and felt it was pretty drained of THC. Commercially, probably quite feasible to extract, given sufficient supply of materials and equipment.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back