Cannabutter did not solidify in fridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
So I've made cannabutter before with no issue. This time I used trim. A lot if it for 1 lb of butter. Been in fridge for 6 hours. It looks like the top layer us butter, but it's still liquid. I used 1 lb, 4- stick unsalted butter for 2 large zip lock bags of trim. I know, a bit heavy on the trim to butter ratio. Can I fix it somehow?
I think I found the problem. I didn't have cheese cloth so I used a old shirt to strain. Looks like it collected not only the leaf, but most of the butter also. Crap.
I put the liquid back into the pot, and added the t shirt cloth to it to see if I can remove the butter from the t shirt and get it into the mixture. I think I have too high of ratio of thc to butter also, so I will add a stick to see if it helps with the solidifying.
Also, since the trim to ratio was so high I added water to the pot, but you would think the butter would float and harden. I hope I didn't f this up. Reheating everything now and adding some more butter.

Attachments

• 20231031_063711.jpg
    20231031_063711.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231031_065046.jpg
    20231031_065046.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The original butter you used , most likely has all the THC absorbed into it , try cooking the shirt maybe it will release the butter back into new water. then mix with original batch , freeze and remove the water after they separate.

The original butter you used , most likely has all the THC absorbed into it , try cooking the shirt maybe it will release the butter back into new water. then mix with original batch , freeze and remove the water after they separate.
I did, I take it I need to catch it before the water freezes?

I bought something called a potato ricer on Amazon. I use it to squeeze the butter and water out of the cooked trim. Works great. The butter once solidified does have some leaf matter in it but I just remelt it and scoop out the bits that remain. Last go I even poured the remelted butter thru a reusable metal coffee filter then rinsed the filter with hot water to get as much goodness out of the batch as possible.

Yep^^^
And you can get a vintage Heavy duty metal one from ebay fairly cheap. Allows you to be heavy handed not made of plastic or cheap foreign parts.
$Cheap prices on Ebay
Look up vintage potato ricer
1698756419479.png

Yes The butter will harden and float on the water
But the water needs to be a liquid,.
Will come out like a flat plate of butter. Pat dry with paper towel.
So I have had the container in the freezer but it is still warm. Needs more time. My problem is, I do have a thin layer of butter on top, but I see a lot of sediment at the bottom which I believe to be resin glands. Like I said my trim to budder ratio was way off, way more trim to butter). I think I need more butter, only so much resin glands are going to stick to a small amount of butter. I will add 2 more sticks and reheat. If I had to guess I had about 5-6 ounces of trim to only 1 lb of butter. Lesson learned. I am hoping by adding more butter it will collect the resin glands that are now sitting at the bottom of my container.

So I have had the container in the freezer but it is still warm. Needs more time. My problem is, I do have a thin layer of butter on top, but I see a lot of sediment at the bottom which I believe to be resin glands. Like I said my trim to budder ratio was way off, way more trim to butter). I think I need more butter, only so much resin glands are going to stick to a small amount of butter. I will add 2 more sticks and reheat. If I had to guess I had about 5-6 ounces of trim to only 1 lb of butter. Lesson learned. I am hoping by adding more butter it will collect the resin glands that are now sitting at the bottom of my container.

Maximum Saturation of Cannabutter​

At 11 grams of THC per stick of butter, you’d need almost 6 ounces of 15% bud to oversaturate a pound of butter! So go ahead and load your butter with lots of weed.

I would take the butter solid out you do have before adding more butter to see if more can be absorbed by the new butter, second heating.
If it does pick up the left over, than I would drain that piece of cannabutter and mix it with the 1st slab you made and reheat and combine, Dont let heat get to hot,

Latest posts

Back