The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're good, it shifted more east, so it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. Rain has stopped, but wind is still kicking it...unfortunately had about 9 inches of water in the basement to pump out. They said we had 9 inches of rain from Weds. to today.

I let my vegetable garden go to nature with the drought this year. I still have a ton of tomatoes and peppers out there. I think I got 12 ears of corn and I picked green beans once. It was too much work with being allowed to have a Marijuana garden too. If we had some rain would have made things easier.
I tried for yers to have a veggie garden here its too hot in summer. Only tomatoes that do well are cherry maters and the birds get them so why bother. Corn, broccoli, and anything in the cabbage family gets worms. The beets, onions and cabbage family grows in winter here. Turnips and kale also winter. Squash I can grow but the squash bugs always kill the plant before I get more than one squash. Yep thats me giving up on veggies

At the old ranch, you could take a sat pic of the property and see the first six feet of the driveway. The rest was under maple, cottonwood, and willow trees. I had a small area that actually got sun, so I put in a few rows of corn. Harvest time, I found the ears loaded with little white grub looking worms. Got pissed off and tossed the whole crop in a pile and doused it with gas and set it on fire. Next day at work, I was complaining to whoever would listen. One of the old timers said that the worms were wax worms, and they were more valuable than the corn! Seems that ice fishermen use 'em for bait.
Doubt Jan does much ice fishing out in NM. :)

Feeling a little to myself today.
Tangled Snakes_2024-04-05-22-28-58.jpg

Latest posts

Back