TALL sprouts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figurehead said:
OK, if I can handle the extra expense, on payday I think I am going to get a CFL and a few other things and try to make a small inexpensive grow box (2'X2'X4') and start a few Crystal seeds in there and see what happens.

Sounds good to me. Make sure your flouros can fit though, don't be a dumb stoner LOL!

Happy to see you come to MP though, there are many very helpful people here that will help you alot. As you say, you are buying A cfl and that will not help you at all. They are cheap, and don't waste your electricity bill. So consider buying a few, and MAKE SURE THEY ARE COOL WHITE FOR VEG. This is neccasary, and I found out the hard way. What happens is it gives out the blue spectrum for better vegatative growth, more bushy. It also helps the stem strengthen. As does a fan. If your making a small box like this consider buying 2 small 5" or so fans and install them on your grow box. You need an intake and an outtake in small grow areas or the plant and it's roots won't get sufficient oxygen. Also, buying reflectors for your lights will help put more lumens on them and they will grow even better.

Hope I helped you out man, and again welcome to MP! I hope to keep seeing you come back and maybe start a new more "serious" grow in the future with real lights. Happy blazing!

should of burried the seed a little deeper and bring the lights a little closer 2 flos would help it grow better, and make sure your not using that tent to much moisture inst that good for your plants...

DomsChron said:
MAKE SURE THEY ARE COOL WHITE FOR VEG. This is neccasary, and I found out the hard way.

sorry, bud... but that's not neccesarily true... I clone AND veg in my little veg box with Daylight CFL's... I have 3 - 150W equiv in it covering 8sq feet, and it works just fine...

I've also started clones simply in front of windows in the house, and as far as I know... the sun is "daylight"....

HippyInEngland said:
This is not correct (no offence meant Cap), if you leave the plant with a stretched stalk and simply add light as it should have been from the start (light closer) the plant will grow with a thin weak stalk and it will fall over with its own weight, do as TBG advises and pot them off so 1 inch is above the grow medium.

none taken. My opinion is based on my experiences. with CFL;s puting the plant deeper into the soil to solve the "streching" is not correct. it will produe the same results. COSMETICALLY it will be taller but overall the same. he issue should could be further explained if you inform us of the type of light you'll be using for flowering. :cool:

That crazy vancouver guy said:
sorry, bud... but that's not neccesarily true... I clone AND veg in my little veg box with Daylight CFL's... I have 3 - 150W equiv in it covering 8sq feet, and it works just fine...

I've also started clones simply in front of windows in the house, and as far as I know... the sun is "daylight"....

Lol I understand but daylight CFLs like the kind you are using are 6500k which is a cool white. So you have the right kind and your growth should be fine.

All I know is that I had an all CFL grow and the one time that I used warm CFLs the nodes were spaced apart alot as in picture 1. Now that I am using all cool cfls my plant is far more bushy and the nodes are close as you can tell in picture 2.

Buds 001.jpg

underMH 002.jpg

OK, I am slightly confused and need to ask a stupid NEWB question about lights.

I read somewhere that keeping light away from the seeds until a few days after they sprout is best. I didn't "avoid" light but didn't get my flouroescent grow light on them till a day or 2 after they sprouted (the White Widow sprouts). Now the Crystal sprout was right next to the WW ones, but was planted like a week after the WW, and it did the exact same thing, shot up like crazy. I also had to add more soil to it because it got too tall too fast, it was over 4 inches in 2 days. This is CRAZY. I'm not going to scrap them because this is just a bag seed experiment, and I'm sure the plants will be ca-ca, but I'm just going to see how they do before I invest more $$$ in this little hobby.

Besides light issues, what are some other things that make plants grow too tall too fast?

Figurehead said:
OK, I am slightly confused and need to ask a stupid NEWB question about lights.

I read somewhere that keeping light away from the seeds until a few days after they sprout is best. I didn't "avoid" light but didn't get my flouroescent grow light on them till a day or 2 after they sprouted (the White Widow sprouts). Now the Crystal sprout was right next to the WW ones, but was planted like a week after the WW, and it did the exact same thing, shot up like crazy. I also had to add more soil to it because it got too tall too fast, it was over 4 inches in 2 days. This is CRAZY. I'm not going to scrap them because this is just a bag seed experiment, and I'm sure the plants will be ca-ca, but I'm just going to see how they do before I invest more $$$ in this little hobby.

Besides light issues, what are some other things that make plants grow too tall too fast?

Nice usage of the word "ca-ca" haha my Dad uses it. I think it's Italian. Anyways, haha. I think if you have just planted a few seeds make sure to either keep them really close (flouresent and cfls need to be close they have like no lumens or light penetration) or completely off because if they are far away, they will get used to it and stretch for the light. Keep em close, and they'll be satisfied and they will bush out :).

Latest posts

Back