Is calmag absolutely necessary…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgutta420

Reaction score
I’m at where I’m at and I’ll be where I be
I know I’ve been bombarding you guys with questions the last few days and I appreciate all the help. So I recently switched over to gh flora series trio and was wondering if I still need calmag. I mix up 5 gallons of nute solution at a time so it’s quite a bit of calmag I have to add on top of the nutes which already have calcium and magnesium in them. The floragro and florabloom has magnesium and the flora micro has calcium.

I was doing a bit of research and based on my plants it seems I have a calcium toxicity. I’m in coco and you’re supposed to always water with calmag but I think I need to lay off of it for a bit. I think I’ll mix up the next batch of nute solution with just the gh trio and see what happens. Just looking for thoughts and opinions here. Tia!

CalMag is the biggest ripoff in nutrients. Some may have chelated micro nutrients too. Its nothing more than Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Nitrate in a weak solution that they charge WAY too much for. Plus it adds a little nitrogen when you may not want any at all.

Unless you are using it for hydro you can make you own from cheap Calcium Acetate and some Epsom salts OR Magnesium Citrate. I can only speak towards using it with potting mix or in ground grows.

Calcium Acetate (water soluble and NO nitrogen)
https://www.bulksupplements.com/products/calcium-acetate

Magnesium Citrate
https://www.bulksupplements.com/products/magnesium-citrate-powder\

You could also buy Calcium Nitrate even cheaper but its like 15-0-0 and 18% calcium. Magnesium Nitrate is harder to find but it is available too. A bag of each would make LOTs of Calmag.

https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Nitrate-15-5-0-0-Fertilizer-POUNDS/dp/B071YS779G?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Boca-Hydro-Magnesium-Nitrate-Vegetables/dp/B0CY6G84FF

In coco if your main nutrient mix has a reasonable amount of calcium you should be fine. Such as MEGACROP 1-Part has plenty and has Mag too. Coco locks out nitrogen because its high in P or K...forgot which and Calcium is a binder. So typically you give coco a big shot of calcium nitrate before you ever use it.

In coco if your main nutrient mix has a reasonable amount of calcium you should be fine. Such as MEGACROP 1-Part has plenty and has Mag too. Coco locks out nitrogen because its high in P or K...forgot which and Calcium is a binder. So typically you give coco a big shot of calcium nitrate before you ever use it.
I soaked it in a heavy dose of calmag over night before using it but I would think that it’s long gone by now. I always water to runoff to avoid salt buildup but I water with calmag every time so I’m sure there’s plenty of calcium in the coco. I’ll look into the calcium nitrate though.

Look at the list on your CalMag bottle, i bet its just....
Calcium Nitrate
Magnesium Nitrate
Chelated Iron...which is cheap too in comparison to CalMag

Farm and Feed stores near me its only about $8/4lb bag of High Yield brand calcium nitrate. 16oz bottle of chelated iron is also under $10.......Blows my mind that people are willing to pay $40-50 a gallon for that.

Last edited:
Look at the list on your CalMag bottle, i bet its just....
Calcium Nitrate
Magnesium Nitrate
Chelated Iron...which is cheap too in comparison to CalMag

Farm and Feed stores near me its only about $8/4lb bag of High Yield brand calcium nitrate. 16oz bottle of chelated iron is also under $10.......Blows my mind that people are willing to pay $40-50 a gallon for that.
I paid $16.42 for 1 quart and the gallon was $43 so a bit of a savings I guess. And it has exactly what you said it has. I’m still green when it comes to growing hydroponically and using liquid nutes as I’ve always used potting soil and osmocote as my fertilizer with good results. A buddy of mine talked me into this hydro stuff and while growth is explosive and yields are good it’s more high maintenance than a uptown girl 😂

Yep thats why i just use MEGACROP until its well into budding but im in potting mix. I could do it all with cheap Chick N Poo granular/ Fish juice/MoBloom which are all dirt cheap. Hydro is a totally different ball game and coco has its own issues to deal with. Drain to waste though aint too bad. Im just not a fan of coco unless its a part of a potting mix and not the main ingredient.....It is much more eco friendly though vs peat based mixes.

Found this one to use if you want to make you own. You need like 2tsp per gallon of water for pots. Has more than just the iron too. Mix with the Cal and Mag nitrates as directed per gallon for pots.....Weaker if using it each watering too probably.

Not a terrible price either for amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Fertilome-400635-Chelated-Liquid-Micronutrients/dp/B0968Z97X7

Contains Chelated Iron, Copper, Manganese & Zinc
https://www.fertilome.com/ProductFiles/2024/03/12/10630 Chelated Liquid Iron 32ozPO 672_1223_FINAL label.pdf

Yep thats why i just use MEGACROP until its well into budding but im in potting mix. I could do it all with cheap Chick N Poo granular/ Fish juice/MoBloom which are all dirt cheap. Hydro is a totally different ball game and coco has its own issues to deal with. Drain to waste though aint too bad. Im just not a fan of coco unless its a part of a potting mix and not the main ingredient.....It is much more eco friendly though vs peat based mixes.
This is my first attempt at growing in coco as my last few were dwc. It’s not too too bad and honestly feels more like soil but the constant watering is wearing me out. I went from mixing up 1 gallon of nute solution to 5 and within the next week it’ll be 10. It’s just so time consuming and draining so I honestly won’t go this route again. The only reason I tried it was a combination of the constant harassment from my buddy and the fear of bugs. I really wanted to do soil but don’t want any infestations. It’s ok but just not for me. I’ll probably go back to dwc.

Latest posts

Back