Advice on staking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello community šŸ˜Š,
Am new to this have 2 plants both at 30 days old and growing strong. I see many people *staking* plants a concept I never heard of. I wish to ask you all is staking necessary or can the plant grow well without it.
Also if I stake it now , would it kill off roots which in turn will stunt/ruin cannibis growth?
I live in a generally sunny climate and the wind here is not that bad you have some days where it gets even more windy at night I take the plants in if it's bad and sunrise or a tad after I put the plants back out.
If any of you kind souls could answer would appreciate
Additional info that could help you guys answer ( 2 plants one yields 100-150g the other 200-250+)
Thank you all wishing you all great health

i stake plants for only 1 of 3 reasons---1, support from gale force winds possibly snapping branches----2, support from heavy flowers possibly breaking branches---3, training a plant to grow in a specific direction---otherwise let it do it's thang

Iā€™m indoors so I stake mine to spread them out to get more light inside the plants and as OrangeSunshine said to support heavy buds. As far as root damage by staking, Iā€™ve never seen any noticeable lack of growth or yield

I agree with all of the previous answers. I grow indoors and use stakes to support heavy buds and when training a plant.

I used stakes on my outdoor little girls to keep the cats from knocking them down after I first put them out...they are big enough now that I donā€™t worry too much about the cats...I think I may put my plants out a bit early...

Orange hit all the marks.
Tomato cages are another option that are actually a huge help if you are growing a spidery strain. I run church and soma#10 and they need tomato cages, not stakes. The stiffness of your stems will determine how much and what kind of support you need.

Cages are a pain in the ass if you need to move anything and also depending on the cage..
One word trellis

i'm not a big fan of the standard round tomato cages for the same reason as others---just too cumbersome to do any maintenance inside the cage---couldn't find any pics of diy cage/stakes that i make---4 bamboo poles equal distance stuck upright in the pot---4 cross pieces zip tied to hold them together---spacing upward to your liking 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th rows up to 10' tall---for containers about 4' in diameter = trees in pots

Latest posts

Back