Re-potting, when do you do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SensiStarFan

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I was looking at this LA Ultra I have grown from seed yesterday and I realized that even though she is in a 5 gallon pot, she is getting pretty big for it. I had been planning on flowering her in it. I am planning on starting to flower her next Saturday and I realized I had an extra pot that was bigger so I decided to transplant her. I think the new pot is 8 gallons but I am not sure, it doesn't say on the bottom. I was glad I did, her root system was already covering the bottom of the pot. She seems happy tied down in her new home :) Usually this is what the bottom of my 5 gallon pots look like after the plants are done flowering. Typically once my clones root I put them in two liter bottles with the tops cut off (the bottles not the clones) and then transplant them to 5 gallon pots a couple weeks before flowering.

Anyway this all got me thinking what my fellow soil growers use for pot sizes and how often you guys end up transplanting. I have never transplanted during flower and I have never transplanted this close to flower before. How about all of you?:D
-SSF-

repotting 001.JPG repotting 003.JPG

repotting 004.JPG repotting 005.JPG

I usually run this cycle.

Party Cup-->1 Gallon-->3 Gallon
or
1 Gallon--> 5 Gallon

I pick the pot regiment depending on strain and how I trained the plant.

I transplant when the plant needs water about every day...or just pop 'em out like ya did and if its starting to get root bound I'll upgrade.

Im like 420 osborn....and Ive transfered and then flowered the next day..but normally I veg a week to 10 days before flowering...your Plant looks nice and healthy...Good root formation..nice job

Oh yeah That ^^^^

I usually try to x-plant a week in advance..but you can do it right before flower.

I'm trying out the smartpots which report ending the circling of the roots...have a few 10gals in use right now.

SensiStarFan said:
Hi guys. So I was looking at this LA Ultra I have grown from seed yesterday and I realized that even though she is in a 5 gallon pot, she is getting pretty big for it. I had been planning on flowering her in it. I am planning on starting to flower her next Saturday and I realized I had an extra pot that was bigger so I decided to transplant her. I think the new pot is 8 gallons but I am not sure, it doesn't say on the bottom. I was glad I did, her root system was already covering the bottom of the pot. She seems happy tied down in her new home :) Usually this is what the bottom of my 5 gallon pots look like after the plants are done flowering. Typically once my clones root I put them in two liter bottles with the tops cut off (the bottles not the clones) and then transplant them to 5 gallon pots a couple weeks before flowering.

Anyway this all got me thinking what my fellow soil growers use for pot sizes and how often you guys end up transplanting. I have never transplanted during flower and I have never transplanted this close to flower before. How about all of you?:D
-SSF-

View attachment 160505 View attachment 160506

View attachment 160507 View attachment 160508
I start out in 16 ounce solo cups ( not transparent because it hinders root growth) for both roots and clones, and then transplant once into three gallon pots... I don't veg long at all, maybe a month, and then flower.. Remember that you can grow more, smaller plants, in less time, with often times better yields.. This method is known as SOG, or sea of green... Every grower has his/her preferences, I just like the idea of shortening my time between harvests as much as I can! I'm taking the risk to grow one or two anyways, might as well grow eight and only let them vegetate half the time, and flower them sooner for the same or better yield in less time! I've also seen growers use one gallon coco pots and just put the whole thing in a bigger pot once the roots break bottom...Hope this helps brother!

Latest posts

Back