1st journal-Sensi Star/LA Ultra/NYC Diesel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SensiStarFan

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been growing Paradise Seeds' Sensi Star for a couple of years now and I have been really happy with it. I grew a few different strains before Sensi Star but never found anything nearly as good. Anyway, a couple of months back I decided to get some new beans to try so I ordered:
Soma Seeds NYC Diesel
Mandala Seeds Hashberry
Resin Seeds LA Ultra
-(and I received Short Stuff's "Auto Assassin" as freebies but I do not have an autoflowering setup so these beans are collecting dust for now).

The reason I want to do a journal is because I am going to be flowering 3 strains I have never grown before so I was hoping everyone here could help me along the way. In return I will show how I grow my Sensi Stars, I think I've got them pretty well dialed in.

Since the Diesel Strain is a 10 week strain and Hashberry is a 9 week strain, I will start flowering them before the other 8 week strains, that way I can hopefully have everything in the flowering room finishing at the same time.

So I am going to be flowering:
2 Sensi Star (clones of known female)
3 NYC Diesel (all from seed)
3 LA Ultra (all from seed)
1 Hashberry (from seed)

-I have taken clones of all the seed plants and they have rooted so it is time to get started and see what we have for females ;) If I do show any males I can seperate them and collect pollen for future crosses. I've done it once and had decent results so why not?

OK, the picture shows my tools of the trade. Starting from left to right on the back row:
View attachment tools 002.JPG

NEEM OIL concentrate (used to eliminate mites and as a preventative)
General Hydroponics (GH) FloraBloom
GH FloraMicro
GH FloraGrow
GH Liquid KoolBloom
Grotek Super Oxy H2O2 (35% hydrogen peroxide)
ph down
ph up
Floralicious Plus
the white bottle with no lable is "Green Light Rooting Hormone" for cloning
the plastic cough syrup thing is what I use to measure
my ph meter
4.0 ph meter adjusting solution
7.0 ph meter adjusting solution

That is everything I use in my grow room.

After uploading the pics, click on the paperclip on the taskbar and click on insert images(I think that's what it says) you'll know when you click it. Your pics will show up in the post instead of links.

No problem SSF, always glad to help where I can. I'm too, new to growing to be of much help to most.
Nice looking plants by the way.

The plants veg under 6 35 watt CFL's. That's it. It isn't much light but by pinching stems and tying down branches I can still keep them bushy. I also run them 24 hrs, not 18/6.

View attachment veg 001.JPG

So a couple weeks ago my vegging area had the heat go out. It was out for almost three days and the temps dropped into the 40's (F) at night. I had some leaf damage that I believe is due to the cold air, and I was curious if you guys would pull the leaves or leave them since the undamaged parts are still green and healthy? The plant has recovered from the cold snap and all new growth looks fine.
View attachment problems 017.JPG

Also, is it possible that the cold snap my plants went through for a few days could force them to flower even though they are getting 24hrs of light? All of a sudden today I saw white hairs on one of my LA Ultra's. What would you do with these plants that are showing sex even though they are supposed to still be in veg? I was hoping to wait another 2-3 weeks before flowering them, should I just go ahead and put them on 12/12? Either way I'm excited to know one of my three from seed is female!!!!!
View attachment problems 012.JPG

Keep them in veg if you want to bush up your plants more.

niteshft said:
Keep them in veg if you want to bush up your plants more.

I'm not really worried about getting them big. I'm really just trying to see what kind of genetics I get out of these seeds. The Sensi Star is my med staple so everything else is just for fun. I have never re-vegged plants once they show sex, could this cause a problem, such as hermies?
EDIT: The reason I wanted to veg them for a couple more weeks is so that everything in my flowering room would finish at the same time for this journal so if I have to start them early it isn't a big deal.

Thanks everyone who helped me out in the other thread I created. The LA Ultra's will stay in veg. Today is the first day of flowering for the Diesels. They went through their first dark period last night. They are currently being lit by a 600HPS cool tube. I have another but will wait until I add the other plants to run it. I have mylar on 3 sides (not the one I took the picture from). I take the screens out of my windows and put mylar on one side of them. They are light in weight, rectangular, easy to move, works well for me. Those are causing the reflections in the picture. I prefer this to putting mylar all over my walls.

If anyone has any ideas feel free to jump right in.

NYC Diesel Day #1
View attachment diesel day #1 001.JPG

And the mandala hashberry ? Any news from her ? The ladies look great. Nice to change strain once for a while no ?

bho_expertz said:
And the mandala hashberry ? Any news from her ? The ladies look great. Nice to change strain once for a while no ?

Thanks for dropping by BHO, I am going to try and have all 4 strains (I only have one Hashberry plant from seed so it may be only 3 strains) finish at the same time. The NYC Diesel is a 10 week strain, Hashberry 9 weeks, LA Ultra and Sensi Star are 8 week strains. So the Hashberry will be in veg for one more week.
The Diesels started today, 2/12
The Hashberry will start 2/19
The LA Ultra and Sensi will start 2/26

Hopefully everything will finish on 4/23

I feed my plants nutes with every watering. I have a pretty regular feeding schedule that I use for my Sensi Stars so I will be doing the other plants along the same schedule and adjusting it to when the plants show needs/problems. It is a pretty light nute schedule, roughly 1/2 to 2/3's the amounts GH recomends.

all amounts described are nutrients per gallon. Also remember this is mixed for soil, any type of hydro system would require different nute levels. So this is just what works for me, don't get mad at me if you use this schedule and kill your plants ;)
While small my vegging plants:
1ml micro
1ml grow
1ml bloom

Once they have at least 4 nodes and some size:
2ml micro
3ml grow
1ml bloom
2-3 drops floralicious plus

I will keep that ratio while vegging.

Weeks #1&#2 of flowering:
2.5ml micro
2.5ml grow
2.5ml bloom

Weeks #3&#4:
2.5ml micro
1.25ml grow
4ml bloom
1ml Liquid KoolBloom

Week #5:
2.5ml micro
1.25ml grow
4ml bloom
1ml Liquid KoolBloom

Weeks #6&#7:
3ml micro
0ml grow
5ml bloom
2ml Liquid KoolBloom

Week #8:
3ml micro
0ml grow
5ml bloom
2ml Liquid KoolBloom

Since this is what I use for my 8 week flowering Sensi Stars I figure for my ten week strain I will just do each period described above for 9 days instead of 7. And obviously my nute feedings are not set in stone. I'm not a total idiot. If I see a nute overload I will back off, leaves not green enough I will increase it. If I do deviate from the feeding schedule though I will note it in the journal.

EDIT: One thing I played with a little bit in my last grow was continuing to give my flowering plants a little grow nutes in weeks 6 and 7, only leaving it out completely in week 8. I'm curious when other people that use GH nutes stop using the grow nute.

the hairs you were seeing are probibly just preflowers...another sign other than alternating nodes she is ready to flower. Vegging longer will increase her yeild tho... I think your doing a jam up job!

I run the GH line myself and use the lucas formula- 8ml micro to 16ml bloom per gallon with no burn (ebb and flo) the entire cycle. they use what they need and i toss the rest! :p I run it in my aero and dwc as well... I run hydro mostly now and have had great results with it. I throw in some koolbloom mid flower if I want to fatten them up.

I like the promix too! :D

Glad you got your ladies on a roll....im excited a room ful of big buds!!!!!!!

Keep them girls NEON!!!

The Sensi Stars got too big to continue vegging them under my 35 watt CLF's so they will veg under a 400 watt HPS until they start flowering on Sat. 2/26. I don't really have anything else for them to veg under. I had to start tying down more branches. Trying to keep that canopy short, flat , and wide :)

It's a jungle in there!
View attachment aaaa 001.JPG
View attachment aaaa 008.JPG
View attachment aaaa 010.JPG

-SSF-

Looks like you treat your Sensi Stars well my man, nice job. I grow em myself and its nice to know there are others out there workin with such a beautiful plant, though she smells something ridiculous...

Latest posts

Back